A surprising new look of an actress who has been rarely heard of and a controversial album giveaway are some of the events that cap off the year.
AceShowbiz - Entertainment news in the fourth and last trimester of 2014 was relatively quite compared to the previous three months, perhaps because celebrities and journalists alike began to enjoy the holiday season. Nevertheless, some celebrities were able to grab the spotlight with rare story, like the one from %cRenee Zellweger% whose face looked so different when making an appearance at a red-carpet event.
%cKim Kardashian% once again made headlines, this time using her biggest assets-her hot body. The mother of one bared all in a magazine spread, gaining various reactions from fans and fellow celebrities. Meanwhile, a rather scandalous story dominated the twelfth month, when hackers threatened a 9/11 attack over %cSeth Rogen% and %cJames Franco%'s comedy movie "The Interview".
%cRenee Zellweger% has been rarely seen in public, yet her red carpet appearance at ELLE's Women in Hollywood Celebration in October suddenly made her one of the most-searched celebrities on Internet. She became the talk of the town with her unrecognizable look, prompting plastic surgery rumor. Without denying nor confirming the speculation, she told PEOPLE, "I'm glad folks think I look different! I'm living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows." Seemingly not bothered by people's reactions, she went make-up free when stepping out with her boyfriend Doyle Bramhall II a few days later. She once again took it lightly when asked about her face, until the buzz regarding her look died down itself.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Oct 01: %cAlyssa Milano% quit "Mistresses" to focus on her family.
- Oct 01: %cTeresa Giudice% was sentenced to 15 months in prison while her husband Joe got 41 months for fraud charges.
- Oct 02: %cLeonardo DiCaprio% passed on the lead role in Danny Boyle's untitled Steve Jobs biopic.
- Oct 02: %cAshton Kutcher% and %cMila Kunis% welcomed their daughter, Wyatt Isabelle.
- Oct 03: "Dallas" reboot was canceled by TNT after three seasons.
- Oct 05: %cMichael Phelps% entered rehab after DUI arrest.
- Oct 05: Miss USA %cNia Sanchez% announced engagement to actor
- Oct 05: Ryan Murphy confirmed he and husband David Miller
welcomed another son via surrogate.
- Oct 06: "Twin Peaks" will return as Showtime's limited event.
- Oct 06: Audio of "7th Heaven" actor %cStephen Collins% confessing to
exposing himself to some children emerged.
- Oct 06: %cMorrissey% revealed his battle with cancer.
- Oct 07: "The Walking Dead" was renewed for season 6 with Scott M. Gimple returning as showrunner.
- Oct 07: Ryan Murphy made new anthology series for FX, "American Crime Story".
- Oct 07: %cRobert Downey Jr.% said he's negotiating for "Iron Man 4", only to backtrack it shortly after.
- Oct 08: Paul Feig confirmed he's working on a female-led "Ghostbusters" reboot.
- Oct 08: %cPaula Patton% filed for divorce from %cRobin Thicke%.
- Oct 09: %cPink Floyd% confirmed that their first album in 20 years "The Endless Rivers" would be their last.
- Oct 10: %cWaka Flocka Flame% was arrested for carrying a loaded
gun at Atlanta airport.
- Oct 10: Warner Bros. planned "The Lego Movie" spin-off centering on Batman.
- Oct 10: %cAngelina Jolie% was named an honorary Dame.
- Oct 10: %cAmanda Bynes% was placed on 5150 psychiatric hold in a
California hospital after accusing her father of sexual abuse when
she was a child.
- Oct 10: %cJosh Groban% and %cKat Dennings% made debut as a
couple at Carousel of Hope Ball.
- Oct 12: %cPenelope Cruz% was named Esquire's 2014 sexiest woman alive.
- Oct 13: "American Horror Story" got season 5 order after record-breaking premiere of season 4.
- Oct 13: FOX gave "Gotham" a full season order.
- Oct 13: %cLorde%, Malala Yousafzai, Malia and Sasha Obama made it
into Time's 2014 Most Influential Teens.
- Oct 13: Kesha, formerly known as %cKe$ha%, sued Dr. Luke for
alleged sexual abuse.
- Oct 14: %cDJ Mustard% came out as the biggest winner of the 2014 BET Hip-Hop Awards as he bagged four nods including DJ of the Year, Producer of the Year, MVP of the Year and Track of the Year.
- Oct 14: "Modern Family" star %cElizabeth Pena% died at 55
after an illness.
- Oct 15: %cNeil Patrick Harris% was tapped to host the 2015 Academy Awards.
- Oct 15: Netflix nabbed streaming rights to "Friends".
- Oct 15: %cArchie Panjabi% planned to leave "The Good Wife" after six seasons.
- Oct 15: Warner Bros. announced release dates of DC Comics' movies, including "Justice League" and "Suicide Squad".
- Oct 15: %cHeidi Klum% and %cSeal%'s divorce proceeding was finalized.
- Oct 15: Forbes named %cMichael Jackson% as highest-earning dead
celebrity of 2014 after garnering about $140 million in earnings.
- Oct 16: Family identified "August: Osage County" star %cMisty
Upham%'s body after she went missing for days.
- Oct 16: %cFall Out Boy%'s %cPatrick Stump% and wife Elisa Yao
welcomed son Declan.
- Oct 17: %cMaggie Smith% received Order of the Companions of Honor
from Queen Elizabeth II.
- Oct 17: %cIggy Azalea% ranted on Twitter in response to divorce rumor.
- Oct 19: %cJay Leno% was awarded with the Mark Twain Prize for
- Oct 20: FOX orders comedy horror series "Scream Queens" from Ryan Murphy.
- Oct 20: "Saturday Night Live" added %cLeslie Jones% as new featured player.
- Oct 20: Disney Animation unveiled first look at "Moana", set the movie for a November 2016 release.
- Oct 20: Designer Oscar de la Renta died at 82.
- Oct 20: %cRenee Zellweger% debuted new look at ELLE's Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration.
- Oct 20: "Django Unchained" star Daniele Watts was charged with lewd conduct after allegedly having sex in a car with the door open.
- Oct 21: James Wan will return to direct "The Conjuring 2".
- Oct 21: FX canceled %cDiane Kruger%'s "The Bridge" after two seasons.
- Oct 21: %cNovak Djokovic%'s wife Jelena gave birth to their first
child, a baby boy.
- Oct 22: %cSteve Coogan% was tapped to replace late %cPhilip Seymour Hoffman% on "Happyish".
- Oct 22: Bryan Singer and Michelle Clunie announced they were
expecting their first child.
- Oct 22: %cBritney Spears%, who last year agreed to be paid $310,000 per performance at The Axis at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino, would now earn $475,000 per show after the ticket sales exceeded everyone's expectation.
- Oct 22: %cChristian Bale% was confirmed to play Steve Jobs in new biopic to be directed by Danny Boyle.
- Oct 22: %cLeBron James% and wife Savannah Brinson welcomed
- Oct 23: "Project Runway" crowned Sean Kelly as the winner of season 13.
- Oct 23: Mama June responded to reports that she dated a child
molester named Mark McDaniel, saying that she broke up with him long
- Oct 24: Actress %cMarcia Strassman% who starred in "Welcome Back, Kotter" and "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" died from breast cancer at 66.
- Oct 26: %cRonnie Milsap%, %cMac Wiseman% and %cHank Cochran% were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- Oct 27: %cTaylor Kitsch% confirmed he would star on "True Detective" season 2.
- Oct 27: %cNeil Patrick Harris% got his own variety show on NBC.
- Oct 27: %cTaylor Swift% was appointed as New York City's global
- Oct 27: %cHugh Jackman% underwent third treatment for skin cancer
in a year.
- Oct 27: %cJane Lynch% and Lara Embry finalized divorce.
- Oct 28: MTV ordered "Scream" TV series.
- Oct 28: Marvel announces its projects through 2019, including "Avengers: Infinity War Part I" and "Avengers: Infinity War Part II".
- Oct 28: Dr. Luke sued 's mother Pebe Sebert over sexual assault claim.
- Oct 29: %cSuge Knight% and %cKatt Williams% were arrested for
allegedly taking a female photographer's camera with force on
- Oct 29: %cKaley Cuoco% was honored with a star at Hollywood Walk
- Oct 29: %cRachel Bilson% and %cHayden Christensen% welcomed their
first child, a baby girl named Briar Rose.
- Oct 30: %cAmanda Bynes% was released from Los Angeles psychiatric
- Oct 30: %cChanning Tatum% was attached to "Gambit (2016)".
Now, people do not need to wonder anymore how %cKim Kardashian%'s famous derriere looks like. The wife of %cKanye West% surprised everyone when she flaunted her naked butt on Paper magazine. She went further by posing full frontal naked in another picture, claiming that her intention was to "break the Internet." She may not achieve the goal, but she definitely managed to gain a lot of attention, with a number of celebrities taking a dig at her nude pictures and creating memes based on the NSFW images.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Nov 01: %cLena Dunham% reacted to claims that she sexually abused
her sister, saying "It's upsetting and disgusting."
- Nov 02: FOX canceled ambitious reality show "Utopia (2014)" after two months.
- Nov 02: %cQuentin Tarantino% was among honorees at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) gala.
- Nov 02: Nik Wallenda successfully completed 2 tightrope walks
between Chicago skycrapers.
- Nov 03: %cChristian Bale% withdrew from an untitled Steve Jobs biopic.
- Nov 03: %cTaylor Swift% removed her albums from streaming service Spotify.
- Nov 04: %cKelly Rowland% gave birth to a baby boy named Titan
- Nov 04: %cTaylor Swift%'s newest album "1989" opened at No. 1 on Billboard 200 with 1.287 million copies, the highest opening week for an album in 2014.
- Nov 04: %cRobert Downey Jr.% and his wife Susan Downey welcomed
second child, a baby girl.
- Nov 04: %cBenedict Cumberbatch% announced his engagement to
Oxford-educated theater director Sophie Hunter.
- Nov 05: %cDean McDermott% quits "True Tori".
- Nov 05: %cBeyonce Knowles% was named the highest-paid woman in music of 2014 by Forbes.
- Nov 05: %cMiranda Lambert% was the biggest winners at the 2014 CMT Awards, bagging multiple awards including the Female Vocalist Award for the fifth time.
- Nov 05: %cBritney Spears% confirmed she's dating Charlie Ebersol.
- Nov 05: "The Hateful Eight" cast was officially announced.
- Nov 06: %cAC/DC% drummer %cPhil Rudd% was charged with attempting
to procure murder, drugs possession and threatening to kill in New
- Nov 06: "Toy Story 4" was in the works with John Lasseter on board as director.
- Nov 06: New "Star Wars" movie was titled "Star Wars: The Force Awakens".
- Nov 06: "Downton Abbey" was renewed for season 6.
- Nov 06: %cAzealia Banks% finally released oft-delayed debut album "Broke With Expensive Taste".
- Nov 07: %cPhil Rudd%'s murder-for-hire charge was dropped due to
insufficient evidence, but the other charges remained.
- Nov 07: "Hell on Wheels" was renewed for fifth and final season.
- Nov 09: %cMatt Damon% confirmed he would return to "Bourne" franchise.
- Nov 10: "The Evil Dead" would be revived as TV series "Ash vs. Evil Dead".
- Nov 10: Showtime renewed "Homeland" and freshman "The Affair".
- Nov 10: %cBret Michaels% who suffers from Type I diabetes
underwent kidney surgery after being hospitalized 6 times in 2 weeks.
- Nov 11: Former %cSpice Girls% member %cGeri Halliwell% announced
engagement to Formula One boss Christian Horner.
- Nov 11: "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" was officially in the works at Universal.
- Nov 11: %cRandy Jackson% quit "American Idol" after 13 seasons.
- Nov 11: %cMarc Anthony% married Shannon De Lima in Dominican Republic.
- Nov 11: %cKim Kardashian% bared her naked derriere for Paper Magazine.
- Nov 11: and %cBen Foster% called off
engagement after 10 months.
- Nov 12: %cBono% and his entourage landed safely in Germany after
a door of their plane fell off mid-flight.
- Nov 14: MTV's "The Real World/Road Rules Challenge" star Diem
Brown died at 32 after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 23.
- Nov 15: %cDanica McKellar% and Scott Sveslosky tied the knot in
an intimate wedding in Hawaii.
- Nov 16: %cSolange Knowles% married Alan Ferguson in New Orleans,
- Nov 16: %cDiplo% and ex-girlfriend Kathryn Lockhart welcomed
second child, a boy.
- Nov 17: "Hot in Cleveland" will end after season 6.
- Nov 17: HBO ordered "Westworld" series starring %cAnthony Hopkins%.
- Nov 17: %cMatthew McConaughey% was honored with a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Nov 17: "Today" new general manager Jamie Horowitz was fired after only 10 weeks on the job.
- Nov 17: %cPeter Capaldi% was confirmed to return for "Doctor Who" season 9 and 10.
- Nov 18: %cChris Hemsworth% was named PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive 2014.
- Nov 18: %cJanice Dickinson% revealed %cBill Cosby% sexually
assaulted her in 1982 after some women came forward with their
- Nov 19: Miss Honduras Maria Jose Alvarado and her sister Sofia
were found dead after going missing for a week.
- Nov 19: Billboard 200 announced that they'd use Nielsen SoundScan's streaming data and download numbers of individual tracks to rank the top albums.
- Nov 19: EGOT winner and %cDiane Sawyer%'s husband %cMike Nichols% died at 83.
- Nov 20: %cKelsey Grammer%'s daughter, %cGreer Grammer%, was chosen as Miss Golden Globe 2015.
- Nov 20: %cEnrique Iglesias% was among the biggest winners at the 2014 Latin Grammy Awards.
- Nov 20: "The %cQueen Latifah% Show" was canceled after two seasons.
- Nov 21: %cLeah Messer% quit "Teen Mom 2".
- Nov 23: %cKaty Perry% was officially announced as the headliner for 2015 Super Bowl halftime show.
- Nov 23: %cTaylor Swift% was honored with the first-ever %cDick Clark% Award of Excellence at the 2014 American Music Award while %cOne Direction% took home the most awards at the show.
- Nov 24: %cJustin Bieber% topped Forbes list of Highest Earning Celebrity Under 30 after earning approximately $80 million.
- Nov 25: %cAlfonso Ribeiro% and his partner %cWitney Carson% won "Dancing with the Stars" season 19.
- Nov 26: An untitled Steve Jobs biopic landed at Universal after Sony let it go.
- Nov 26: After their "FOUR" album hit No. 1 on Billboard 200, %cOne Direction% became the first boyband in the history to have their first four albums at the chart's top slot on the first week of sale.
- Nov 26: 20th Century Fox greenlit "Independence Day" sequel, "ID Forever Part 1".
- Nov 26: Rep confirmed %cAndy Murray%'s engagement to longtime
girlfriend Kim Sears.
- Nov 26: %cMark Wahlberg% sought pardon for assaults he committed
- Nov 28: %cRay Rice%'s indefinite suspension was lifted by NFL
after winning appeal.
- Nov 29: %cSnooki% married Jionni LaValle in East Hanover, New Jersey.
- Nov 29: "The Young and the Restless" star %cCorey Sligh% shared
a photo of him on the gurney after being hit by drunk driver and
beaten on Thanksgiving.
- Nov 30: %cChris Brown% dominated the winners list of the 2014 Soul Train Awards as he took home three awards including Best Hip-Hop Song of the Year, Best Dance Performance and Best Collaboration all for the %cLil Wayne and %cTyga%-assisted "Loyal".
- Nov 30: "Fury" and "Annie" were among movies leaked following Sony Pictures hacking.
- Nov 30: Staffer at the Granite County Court confirmed %cScarlett Johansson% married Romain Dauriac in Montana on October 1.
It all started in late November, when Sony Pictures' movies, namely "Fury" and Annie", were leaked online following massive hacking targeting the company. But it wasn't until December that the incident took a greater toll with emails from execs' inbox and sensitive info about the company's employees were leaked online. Many soon linked the hacking to North Korea, who has been opposing to the release of Sony's movie "The Interview" which depicts the assassination of Kim Jong-Un. While North Korea denied its involvement, hackers launched a threat to attack theaters which play the movie. For the sake of people's safety, the studio decided to cancel the planned theatrical release on Christmas Day, only to get criticized for succumbing to the hackers' demand. Sony, however, came with a new idea, releasing it online via YouTube, Google Play and other sites, in addition to making it available on select theaters.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Dec 01: NY Film Critics Circle Awards hailed "Boyhood" as Best Picture.
- Dec 01: %cKathy Griffin% was announced as new "Fashion Police" host.
- Dec 01:"Birdman" was awarded with Best Feature trophy at Gotham Awards.
- Dec 01: %cLady GaGa% revealed in an interview with %cHoward Stern%
that she was raped when she was a teenager.
- Dec 01: %cMeek Mill% was released from prison early after serving
for five months.
- Dec 02: %cJared Leto%, %cWill Smith%, %cMargot Robbie% and %cTom Hardy% officially joined "Suicide Squad".
- Dec 02: Winners of the National Board of Review Awards included "A Most Violent Year", "Boyhood" and "Birdman".
- Dec 02: %cAdriana Lima% and %cAlessandra Ambrosio% wore $2 million
Fantasy Bras at Victoria's Secret Show in London.
- Dec 03: %cJimmy Fallon% and his wife Nancy Juvonen welcomed second
daughter Frances Cole Fallon via surrogate.
- Dec 03: %cPSY%'s "Gangnam Style" music video prompted YouTube to make an upgrade after it garnered more than 2.1 billion views.
- Dec 03: Cast members of new James Bond movie, "Spectre", were revealed.
- Dec 03: %cLil Wayne% launched a Twitter rant against his longtime label Chas Money and its boss %cBirdman% after they didn't allow him to release his "Tha Charter V" album.
- Dec 04: %cAC/DC% drummer %cPhil Rudd% was arrested again for
violating probation after scuffling with a witness from his ongoing
- Dec 04: %cPharrell Williams% was honored with a star on Hollywood
Walk of Fame.
- Dec 05: Roberto Orci left the directing post in "Star Trek 3".
- Dec 05: "America's Next Top Model" cycle 21 crowned Keith Carlos as the first ever male winner.
- Dec 06: %cChris Brown% accused %cKarrueche Tran% of cheating on
him with %cDrake% when he was in prison.
- Dec 07: %cTom Hanks%, %cSting%, %cAl Green%, %cLily Tomlin% and
ballerina Patricia McBride were honored at the 37th Annual Kennedy
- Dec 07: Prince William and Kate Middleton arrived in New York City
for a brief U.S. tour.
- Dec 08: Discovery Channel's "Eaten Alive" disappointed viewers with failed stunt.
- Dec 08: "Hit the Floor" star %cStephanie Moseley% and her rapper husband %cEarl Hayes% were found dead in apparent murder-suicide in L.A.
- Dec 08: "Birdman" and "Unbroken" were honored at AFI Awards.
- Dec 08: %cDrake% was hospitalized following an alleged
music-related brawl with %cP. Diddy% at %cDJ Khaled%'s birthday
outside a Miami nightclub.
- Dec 08: Peter Jackson was awarded with the 2,538th star on the
Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Dec 08: %cZoe Saldana% and her husband Marco Perego welcomed twins.
- Dec 10: Although he didn't release new music and album in the past few months, %cDr. Dre% came out at the top of the highest-paid musicians list released by Forbes thanks in large part to the sale of Beats to Apple earlier this year.
- Dec 10: Warner Bros. changed "Pan" release date to avoid "Ant-Man".
- Dec 10: Princess Charlene of Monaco gave birth to twins named
Gabriella and Jacques.
- Dec 12: "Parks and Recreation" completed the filming of its final season.
- Dec 14: Miss South Africa %cRolene Strauss% was crowned Miss World 2014.
- Dec 14: %cKourtney Kardashian% gave birth to her third child with
%cScott Disick%, a baby boy.
- Dec 14: %cD'Angelo% finally released "Black Messiah", his first album in 14 years, just days after announcing it.
- Dec 15: %cEddie Redmayne% married fiancee Hannah Bagshawe.
- Dec 15: %cGreen Day%, %cJoann Jett% and %cLou Reed% were among musicians set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Dec 16: Sony Hackers threatened 9/11-style attack on movie theaters showing "The Interview".
- Dec 16: %cJoey Fatone% confirmed %cJessica Biel%'s pregnancy.
- Dec 16: %cStephen Collins% admitted to sexual misconduct with
underage girls in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
- Dec 16: Sony hackers threatened 9/11-style attack on movie theaters showing "The Interview".
- Dec 16: %cCraig Wayne Boyd% of Team %cBlake Shelton% won "The Voice" season 7.
- Dec 17: "Hell's Kitchen" named La Tasha McCutchen as the winner of season 13, showed was renewed for season 15 and 16.
- Dec 17: Representative confirmed %cStevie Wonder% welcomed his
ninth child, a baby girl named Nia.
- Dec 17: Rapper %cBobby Shmurda% was arrested in an NYPD
investigation into a series of gang-related shootings and drug
- Dec 18: "Survivor: San Juan del Sur" picked Natalie Anderson as the winner.
- Dec 18: %cStephen Colbert% bid farewell to "The Colbert Report" audience.
- Dec 18: Miss World Pageant announced they would ban bikini
portion in future competitions because "there didn't seem to be a
purpose to have the swimsuit."
- Dec 18: %cKris Jenner% and %cBruce Jenner% finalized divorce.
- Dec 19: %cKristen Bell% and %cDax Shepard% welcomed their second
child, another daughter, Delta.
- Dec 19: The last episode of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" aired.
- Dec 20: %cElton John% married his partner David Furnish nine
years after entering civil partnership.
- Dec 20: %cLance Bass% and Michael Turchin got married in Los Angeles.
- Dec 22: Legendary singer %cJoe Cocker% died from lung cancer at 70.
- Dec 22: %cCameron Diaz% was seen wearing a diamond ring on her
ring finger during an outing in West Hollywood amid engagement rumor.
- Dec 22: %cHelena Bonham Carter% and Tim Burton announced
separation after 13 years of relationship.
- Dec 22: %cClint Eastwood% and his wife Dina finalized divorce
after 18 years of marriage.
- Dec 23: %cKim Dickens% landed female lead role on "The Walking Dead" spin-off.
- Dec 23: Judge denied Roman Polanski's attempt to seek dismissal
of sex assault case.
- Dec 23: Justin Lin was tapped to direct "Star Trek 3".
- Dec 24: %cAdam Sandler% topped Forbes' list of Most Overpaid Actors for the second year in a row.
- Dec 25: %cJenna-Louise Coleman% said she would stay on "Doctor Who" for another season.
- Dec 26: "Saved by the Bell" star %cDustin Diamond% was arrested
after a bar fight in Wisconsin.
- Dec 26: %cJennifer Lawrence% and %cChris Pratt% were among top-grossing actors of 2014, according to Forbes.
- Dec 26: %cLudacris% got engaged to his girlfriend Eudoxie.
- Dec 27: %cAlicia Keys% and %cSwizz Beatz% welcomed another son,
Genesis Ali Dean.
- Dec 28: %cChris Rock% filed for divorce from Malaak Compton-Rock
after 19 years of marriage.
« | « | «