ABC Cancels Backstreet Boys' Special as Nick Carter Denies Rape Accusations
Instagram
TV

The decision is made after a woman comes forward with claims that the singer raped her after he performed at a Backstreet Boys concert back in 2001 when she was still underage.

AceShowbiz - ABC has decided to pull Backstreet Boys' holiday special "A Very Backstreet Holiday". The decision was made after Nick Carter was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl during the boy band's 2001 tour.

Alongside fellow bandmates AJ McLean, Kevin Richardson, Brain Littrell and Howie Dorough, Nick filmed the special earlier this month in Los Angeles. They were supposed to sing songs from their 10th studio album, "A Very Backstreet Christmas", to celebrate the holiday season.

The special show was also set to feature appearances from Seth Rogen, Meghan Trainor, Rob Riggle, Nikki Glaser, Ron Funches and Atsuko.

In a press conference on Thursday, December 8 at Los Angeles' Beverly Hilton Hotel, a woman named Shannon "Shay" Ruth claimed that the singer raped her after he performed at a Backstreet Boys concert back in 2001 when she was still underage. "The last 21 years have been filled with pain, confusion, frustration, shame and self-harm that are a direct result of Nick Carter raping me," she said.

"Even though I'm autistic and live with cerebral palsy, I believe that nothing has affected me more or had a more lasting impact on my life than what Nick Carter did and said to me," the now-39-year-old further alleged. "After he raped me, I remember him calling me a 'r******d b***h' and grabbing me and leaving bruises on my arm."

Ruth added that Carter "tried to scare [her] into silence." However, Ruth said she decided to speak up now to "stop" Carter from "assaulting more teens and women" and "hold [him] accountable. Just because Nick Carter is a celebrity does not mean that he is excused from his crimes... I am a survivor and always will be."

In response to the allegations, Carter's attorney denied the claims on behalf of his client. "This claim about an incident that supposedly took place more than 20 years ago is not only legally meritless but also entirely untrue," the Backstreet Boys member's attorney Michael Holtz said in a statement. "Unfortunately, for several years now, Ms. Ruth has been manipulated into making false allegations about Nick - and those allegations have changed repeatedly and materially over time."

"No one should be fooled by a press stunt orchestrated by an opportunistic lawyer - there is nothing to this claim whatsoever, which we have no doubt the courts will quickly realize," he continued.

You can share this post!

You might also like
Related Posts