Former Boxing Champ Gary Mason Killed in Bicycle Accident
Former British boxing champion Gary Mason has died after a cycling accident on Thursday, January 6. He was 48 years old. The retired fighter was riding his bicycle in south London when he collided with a van. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the vehicle was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
The London-born heavyweight was crowned British champion in 1989 and was only defeated once in his 38-fight career - by future world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis in 1991. He enjoyed a brief foray into the world of rugby, playing three professional games, and also appeared in a celebrity edition of U.K. TV hit Gladiators.
Former world champ Frank Bruno expressed his condolence, "We used to spar together in the early days. Gary was probably a better technical boxer than me and that spurred me on to work harder. I'm very sorry about his death, particularly the circumstances of how it happened. I had a lot of respect for the guy."
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip