Former Boxing Champ Gary Mason Killed in Bicycle Accident
Former British boxing champion Gary Mason has died after a cycling accident on Thursday, January 6. He was 48 years old. The retired fighter was riding his bicycle in south London when he collided with a van. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the vehicle was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
The London-born heavyweight was crowned British champion in 1989 and was only defeated once in his 38-fight career - by future world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis in 1991. He enjoyed a brief foray into the world of rugby, playing three professional games, and also appeared in a celebrity edition of U.K. TV hit Gladiators.
Former world champ Frank Bruno expressed his condolence, "We used to spar together in the early days. Gary was probably a better technical boxer than me and that spurred me on to work harder. I'm very sorry about his death, particularly the circumstances of how it happened. I had a lot of respect for the guy."
- G-Dragon Promises Big Bang Will Reunite as 5 Members
- Jay Park Signs With Roc Nation
- Justin Bieber Banned From China Over His 'Bad Behavior'
- Kim Kardashian Is 'Furious' After Video of Her Partying Hard Exposed
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tasha McCauley Welcome Second Child
- Celebrities Who Regret Getting Plastic Surgery
- JYJ's Park Yoochun's Fiancee Allegedly Wants to Break Off Engagement
- Kingsman Teams Up With Statesman in New 'The Golden Circle' Red Band Trailer