Grammy Awards 2014: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Daft Punk Are Early Winners
Following a performance from Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z, first awards at the 56th annual Grammy Awards were handed to the winners. The first award which was handed out at the Sunday, January 26 event was Best New Artist which went to duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.
The twosome, who won three trophies at the pre-telecast ceremony, defeated other artists in the category which included James Blake, Kendrick Lamar, Kacey Musgraves and Ed Sheeran. "I want to say, we made this album without a record label. We made it independently and we appreciate all the support," Macklemore said while on stage.
After the trophy was handed out, the winner of Best Pop Duo/Group Performance was announced. Daft Punk went home with a trophy in the category after edging out other performers which included Justin Timberlake & Jay-Z for "Suit & Tie", Robin Thicke featuring T.I. & Pharrell Williams with "Blurred Lines", Rihanna featuring Mikky Ekko with "Stay" and Pink featuring Nate Ruess with "Just Give Me a Reason". The French duo showed up on stage alongside Williams and Nile Rodgers. "Dude. On the behalf of the robots, I would just like to say, 'Man, thank you, thank thank you,' " Williams said.
Katy Perry and others took the stage following the announcement. Other winners will be revealed at the 2014 Grammy Awards which is hosted by LL Cool J.
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says