AceShowbiz - Oscar nominee Melissa McCarthy has thrown her support behind filmmaker Jason Reitman's planned revamp of the "Ghostbusters" franchise, less than three years after starring in an all-female reboot.
The "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" actress featured alongside comediennes Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones in Paul Feig's 2016 version, which flopped with critics and fans of the original 1980s movies, despite including appearances by franchise stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Ernie Hudson.
Jason, whose dad Ivan Reitman directed the first two "Ghostbusters" installments, recently announced he had started work on a new "Ghostbusters" movie, which will serve as a sequel to his father's "Ghostbusters II" and not be connected in any way to Feig's film.
The news angered Leslie, who fumed about the plans on Twitter: "So insulting. Like f**k us. We dint (didn't) count," she raged last month (Jan19). ''It's like something (controversial U.S. President Donald) Trump would do... 'Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain't ghostbusteeeeers' ugh so annoying (sic). Such a d**k move. And I don't give f**k I'm saying something!".
So insulting. Like fuck us. We dint count. It’s like something trump would do. (Trump voice)”Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers” ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don’t give fuck I’m saying something!!— Leslie Jones 🦋 (@Lesdoggg) January 19, 2019
Feig showed his support for Leslie following her outburst, but expressed his interest in seeing what Reitman came up with, even though he was disappointed his leading ladies wouldn't be invited to take part in the action.
Now Melissa has weighed in on the dispute, insisting she has no hard feelings towards "Juno" director Reitman, and is excited to check out his take on the beloved franchise.
"I'm for anybody who's making movies," she told Entertainment Tonight. "I talked to Jason about it, he's just always had this idea, and his goes back to the world where the guys (from the original films) did exist and I'm like, 'I want to see that'."
"I'm all for it. I say like, 'Tell the story'."
She added, "I think there's a million stories to be told. He's a really, really good filmmaker and a really good storyteller, so I will be there buying my ticket. I'm all for it."
A teaser for Jason's "Ghostbusters 3" debuted online in January and featured the fabled Ghostbusters car under a dust cover in a barn.
It's not yet known if Hudson, Murray, and Aykroyd will appear in his sequel.