AceShowbiz - Nick Carter has responded to Melissa Schuman's allegation that he sexually assaulted her nearly two decades ago. The Backstreet Boys star was accused of forcefully taking the former teen pop star's virginity back in 2002. She was 18 and he was 22 when the incident happened at Nick's apartment.
In a statement released on Wednesday, November 22, Nick, now 37, denied Melissa's accusation. "I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman's accusations," the British singer said, explaining that "Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual."
"We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally," he continued. He claimed that "this is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm."
Melissa previously wrote a lengthy post on her blog in which she detailed what happened when Nick invited her and a friend to his apartment for a "casual hangout." Claiming that she was a virgin at the time, Melissa alleged Nick took her into an office and they began making out. She said he then led them into a bathroom and continued to kiss, with him later forcefully taking off her pants.
Melissa said that Nick performed oral sex on her against her will and then demanded her to do the same for him. Nick allegedly then led her to the bedroom and forced himself on her, even though she told him that she was a virgin and saving herself for marriage. She said Nick told her, "I could be your husband."
Melissa, now 33, said she did consider pressing charges against the boy group member, but claimed she was told that she "would likely be buried in humiliation, accused of being fame hungry, and it would ultimately hurt me professionally as well as publicly."
"I feel I have an obligation now to come forward with the hope and intention to inspire and encourage other victims to tell their story. We are stronger in numbers," she concluded her post along with the popular hashtag #MeToo. "If you are reading this and you have been assaulted, know you don't have to be silent and you are not alone. I know it's scary. I'm scared. I believe you. I stand with you and together I hope we can bring light to things that have been lost in the darkness for so long."