Elton John Defends Himself for Having Child at 63
Sir Elton John anticipated criticism over his decision to welcome a baby at the age of 63 - because even he momentarily thought he was too old to become a father. The "Rocket Man" and his partner David Furnish, 48, welcomed little Zachary via a surrogate mother at Christmas.
Their decision courted controversy, but Sir Elton has brushed off the comments, insisting he's unaffected by other people's opinions. The singer/songwriter admits he expected criticism over their choice to bring a baby into the family, but reveals he has felt fully committed to fatherhood after a failed bid to adopt an orphan, Lev, from Ukraine in 2009.
He tells British morning show "Daybreak", "It crossed my mind a bit. I said to (Furnish) in the old days, 'Maybe I'm too old to have a baby', but after we saw Lev in the Ukraine and he lit that spark in me, I thought, 'I'm a young 63, lets go for it'."
"I knew I would get criticized, we would get criticized, I knew it's not everybody's cup of tea. You can't please everybody. We're not stupid people, we knew we'd get a lot of flack from certain areas and we did but we can rise above that and just bring our child up in the proper way. At the end of the day it's really nobody else's business, but people are always going to have a point of view."
More Elton John News
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'
- Watch Demi Lovato Practice Kissing Using Ed Sheeran Pillow on 'Ew!' With Jimmy Fallon
- Listen to The Chainsmokers' Heartbreaking Ballad 'The One'
- First Official Photos of Alicia Vikander's Lara Croft in 'Tomb Raider' Reboot Are Unveiled
- Nicki Minaj Has Her Eyes on 'Sexy' Nick Cannon Amid Mariah Carey Diss
- Zayn Malik Terrified About Harry Styles' Solo Album: 'He's Going to Steal My Thunder'
- 'Fargo' Season 3 Extended Trailer Sees Ray and Nikki Plotting a Revenge
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24 Week 2: And the First Eliminated Celebrity Is ...