Elton John Defends Himself for Having Child at 63
Sir Elton John anticipated criticism over his decision to welcome a baby at the age of 63 - because even he momentarily thought he was too old to become a father. The "Rocket Man" and his partner David Furnish, 48, welcomed little Zachary via a surrogate mother at Christmas.
Their decision courted controversy, but Sir Elton has brushed off the comments, insisting he's unaffected by other people's opinions. The singer/songwriter admits he expected criticism over their choice to bring a baby into the family, but reveals he has felt fully committed to fatherhood after a failed bid to adopt an orphan, Lev, from Ukraine in 2009.
He tells British morning show "Daybreak", "It crossed my mind a bit. I said to (Furnish) in the old days, 'Maybe I'm too old to have a baby', but after we saw Lev in the Ukraine and he lit that spark in me, I thought, 'I'm a young 63, lets go for it'."
"I knew I would get criticized, we would get criticized, I knew it's not everybody's cup of tea. You can't please everybody. We're not stupid people, we knew we'd get a lot of flack from certain areas and we did but we can rise above that and just bring our child up in the proper way. At the end of the day it's really nobody else's business, but people are always going to have a point of view."
More Elton John News
- Suki Waterhouse Flashes Nipples in See-Through Dress During Chilly Beach Photo Shoot
- Anne Hathaway Controls a Monster in 'Colossal' Trailer
- Gregg Sulkin and Tyler Posey's Nude Photos Leaked by Ex Bella Thorne?
- Bella Hadid Bumps Into Ex The Weeknd During Concert at Madison Square Garden
- Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam Gets a Solo Movie as DC Splits 'Shazam'
- Amber Rose Claps Back at Haters Accusing Her of Being Rude to Sexual Assault Victim
- Did Charlie Sheen Just Threaten Jon Voight for Speaking at Donald Trump's Pre-Inagural Event?
- Kanye West Is Not Invited to Perform at Trump's Inauguration Because of This!