'American Idol' Las Vegas - Part 1: Five Girls Meet Sudden Death
The "American Idol" season 12 contestants sang in front of live audience for the first time starting this week. In the first part of the Las Vegas round, ten girls would perform one by one. At the end of the night, five of them would be sent home.
Following her much talked-about performance last week, Angela Miller once again wowed the judge plus the crowd with a cover of Jessie J's "Nobody's Perfect". Randy Jackson gushed, "I think America is witnessing the building of a superstar."
Kree Harrison was also a standout that night, singing a compelling performance of "Up to the Mountain" by Patty Griffin. "I would be very afraid if I were any of these other girls tonight," Nicki Minaj commented. "Every time you sing a song, you make love to the song."
Jenny Beth Willis, who showed up first that night, delivered a rendition of Trisha Yearwood's "Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love". Randy said, "You never got in sync rhythmically with the band," but Keith Urban thought it's "a great way to start off the show."
Tenna Torres covered Natasha Bedingfield's "Soulmate," and Randy declared it's "the start of the night." Nicki also liked it as saying,"You had control of the whole song."
Adriana Latonio sang Aretha Franklin's "Ain't No Way" and Keith declared, "Now that started the night," after the performance. Brandy Hotard didn't get love from Nicki for her slow performance of Travis Tritt's "Anonymous", but Mariah Carey advised her to "do an album of classics."
Nicki called Shubha Vedula's version of Lady GaGa's "Born This Way" "almost...like a mashup of Christina Aguilera and that 'Gangnam Style' guy." Kamaria Ousley went with Kelly Clarkson's "Mr. Know It All", but Keith said it's "not a great song" for her.
Isabelle covered "God Bless the Child" and Randy called it "old-fashioned." However, Mariah liked her emotion in the performance. Last but not least, Amber Holcomb chose "My Funny Valentine" which Randy said "amazing."
The judges then announced the fate of each performers that night. Tenna, Kree, Angela, Amber and Adriana scored five of the spots in the Top 20. The other five girls, meanwhile, were sent packing.
On Thursday, ten guys will get through a similar round. Audience will be able to vote once there are 20 singers left.
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos