People's Choice Awards 2013 Music Winners: Katy Perry Leads With Four Gongs
Katy Perry was absent from the 39th annual People's Choice Awards, but it didn't stop her star from shining. The girlfriend of John Mayer won big in music categories, bagging a total of four awards including Favorite Music Fan Following, thanks to her fierce devotees KatyCats.
The pop singer, who was recently spotted vacationing in Hawaii with her rocker beau, collected coveted Favorite Female Artist and Favorite Pop Artist. She's additionally awarded Favorite Music Video for "Part of Me" which follows her mending her broken heart in military camp.
Following her domination was One Direction. The boys, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson, won Favorite Album for their debut effort "Up All Night" and Favorite Song for their claim-fame single "What Makes You Beautiful".
Other winners at the annual event were Taylor Swift (Favorite Country Artist), The Wanted (Favorite Breakout Artist), Nicki Minaj (Favorite Hip Hop Artist), Jason Mraz (Favorite Male Artist), Rihanna (Favorite R&B Artist), and Maroon 5 (Favorite Band).
Taylor was presented her award by Johnny Galecki and Olivia Munn who joked that "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was written about her and held the trophy a little too tightly before letting the singer to have it. "This always happens to me," she deadpanned after getting Kanye'd.
In her speech, Taylor thanked her fans and radios for their support. "You guys have blown my mind with what you've done with this album 'Red'," she gushed. "I want to thank you for caring about my music and for caring about me. Thank you so much, you guys. I love you."
When Adam Levine and his band came onto the stage later to accept their award, the frontman couldn't help praising Taylor for her being classy. "Taylor Swift is super charming," he said. "I was trying to think of something to say, and it's not happening. [She said] 'This always happens.' That's genius, by the way."
When it was The Wanted's turn to collect their prize, the boys treated crowd to an a capella rendition of "Afternoon Delight". They made good on their promise to Ellen DeGeneres, telling the host when appearing on her show during the beginning of their career that they would sing if they won.
"We never won anything before," member Max George said. "It shows that our fans are real troopers. A big thanks to Scooter Braun and Justin Bieber, and Island Records, and to Ellen DeGeneres for having us on her show."
Unfortunately, Bieber who usually frequented a win or two at an awards show didn't get any this time. He's nominated in five music categories for Favorite Male Artist, Favorite Pop Artist, Favorite Music Video, Favorite Album and Favorite Music Fan Following.
- Favorite Male Artist: Jason Mraz
- Favorite Female Artist: Katy Perry
- Favorite Pop Artist: Katy Perry
- Favorite Hip Hop Artist: Nicki Minaj
- Favorite R&B Artist: Rihanna
- Favorite Band: Maroon 5
- Favorite Country Artist: Taylor Swift
- Favorite Breakout Artist: The Wanted
- Favorite Song: "What Makes You Beautiful" - One Direction
- Favorite Album: "Up All Night" - One Direction
- Favorite Music Video: "Part of Me" - Katy Perry
- Favorite Music Fan Following: KatyCats - Katy Perry
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!