New 'The Matrix' Movie May Center on Young Morpheus
Shortly after "The Matrix" screenwriter Zak Penn debunked rumors about "The Matrix" reboot, another related report emerges. According to Birth.Movies.Death., Warner Bros. indeed "is not interested in rebooting 'The Matrix'." Rather, it will explore "expanded universe concepts." Sources tell the site that new "The Matrix" movie may come in the form of a prequel centering on young Morpheus.
In "The Matrix" trilogy, Morpheus was portrayed by Laurence Fishburne. The character gained respect from the audience due to his monk-like stoicism and wisdom as a mentor. Should "The Matrix" spin-off happen, the role of young Morpheus reportedly will be played by Michael B. Jordan.
Whether or not a young Morpheus movie will be made remains to be seen. However, Penn wrote earlier on his Twitter account that he did "want to see more stories" set in "The Matrix" universe. "Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of the matrix?" he wrote. "Yes. Because it's a brilliant idea that generates great stories," he added.
1999's "The Matrix" starring Keanu Reeves is said to be one of the most original films in cinematic history. The movie sees a dystopian future where humans are unaware they live in a simulated reality created by sentient machines. Computer programmer named Neo (Reeves) slowly learns the truth and starts the rebellion against the machines.
"The Matrix", which also starred Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving, became the highest grossing R-rated film in North America back in 1999, earning $463.5 million worldwide. It also nabbed four Oscars which included the accolades for Best Film Editing, Best Sound, Best Sound Effects Editing and Best Visual Effects.
"The Matrix" sequels, "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix Revolutions", were both released in 2003. Although the sequels weren't much praised like their predecessor, Reeves' deal for both movies made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.
More The Matrix News
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle
- Salazar's Grudge Against Jack Sparrow Is Explained in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' New TV Spot
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez May Need to Postpone Their Wedding Plan. Find Out Why
- 'American Horror Story: Roanoke' Cast Dishes on Lady GaGa's Possible Return and More
- Artist of the Week: Jackie Evancho
- Traumatized Kim Kardashian Seeks Therapy After Paris Robbery
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- 'Venom Carnage' Is Listed as Horror Sci-Fi, Production Date Is Revealed