'The Walking Dead' Showrunner: 'We're Not Holding Back Information on Daryl's Sexuality'
Daryl's sexuality became a hot topic when "The Walking Dead" creator Robert Kirkman suggested that Daryl Dixon might be gay. Addressing the same issue, showrunner Scott M. Gimple explains why the show hasn't given a direct answer to the question.
"We know all sorts of things about the characters that we haven't revealed," he tells TVLine before adding, "[But] we're not holding back information on Daryl's sexuality as any sort of big reveal. The fact that there's still a question as to what Daryl's orientation is in season 5 absolutely speaks to Daryl's character."
Gimple goes on detailing, "He is a very guarded, very closed-off individual in a lot of ways. We have been able to see him ever so slowly open up and show the other characters aspect by aspect as to what makes him tick. That's been a very satisfying journey for all of us on the creative side to portray. [And] he's still on that journey."
Gimple says Daryl's sexuality "is not really addressed" in the upcoming season 5, but as the show progresses, he will show his true self. "This is a character who is going to continue to grow closer to the other characters," Gimple says, "[and] let his guard down, and let them see just who he is, in every way."
"The Walking Dead" season 5 is set to debut Sunday, October 12 at 9 P.M. ET on AMC.
More The Walking Dead News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences