Sofia Vergara Slams Critics of Her Emmy Skit
Sofia Vergara slammed critics who claimed her skit at 2014 Emmy Awards was "sexist." She told Entertainment Weekly, "I think it's absolutely the opposite. It means that somebody can be hot and also be funny and make fun of herself. I think it's ridiculous that somebody started this-I know who she was-who has no sense of humor [and should] lighten up a little bit."
Sofia's fans vented their anger on Twitter after watching their idol standing on a rotating pedestal. As she striked some poses on the turntable, Television Arts and Sciences President Bruce Rosenblum delivered a speech, saying, "Our Academy is more diverse than ever before, both in front of and behind the camera."
Bruce continued, "Resulting in a greater diversity of storytelling. What truly matters is that we never forget that our success is based on always giving the viewers something compelling to look at."
Some news sites also slammed the gag. Huffington Post called it "a very troubling turn." Jezebel wrote, "She was treated like a literal object." Meanwhile, Salon headlined, "A bizarre, objectifying Emmy moment."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie