Video: Weird Al Yankovic Spoofs Theme Songs of Hit Series at Emmys
Weird Al Yankovic stole the spotlight at the Emmy Awards. The parodist graced the stage at the L.A.'s Nokia Theater on Monday night, August 25 and treated the crowd to a medley of revamped theme songs from five popular series that were all up for awards.
Donning a dapper suit and being surrounded by some dancers, Weird Al kicked off his set with his own version of the "Mad Men" theme song. In it, he made fun of the hit series' leading actor, singing, "Jon Hamm's never won an Emmy. Oh who cares he's still Jon freaking Hamm."
He went on to parody "Scandal", "Homeland" and "Modern Family", but his take on "Game of Thrones" was probably the best. During the performance, Andy Samberg came out on the stage as King Joffrey and served as a backing vocalist while the comedian/singer sang, "If you miss a big scene... watch it over, watch it over... hope you paid attention to the map, you can pause that."
Mid-song, Samberg left the stage and gave "Game of Thrones" author George R.R. Martin who sat in the audience a typewriter as Weird Al said from the stage, "Type George, type as fast as you can... We need more scripts."
Sara Bareilles was another musician performing at the awards show. Wearing a black outfit, she played a somber performance of Nat King Cole's classic "Smile" during the "In Memoriam" segment. As she performed, photos of Paul Walker, Casey Kasem, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams among other famous faces passing away in the past year flashed on the huge screen behind her.
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'