Miley Cyrus Brings Awareness to Homeless People at the MTV VMAs
Miley Cyrus looked deeply touched when a homeless young man named Jesse took the stage at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards to accept the Moonman on her behalf. The former "Hannah Montana" singer, who received Video of the Year trophy at the Sunday, August 24 event, was holding back tears as Jesse delivered his acceptance speech.
"I am accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth in the United States who are starving, lost and scared for their lives. I know this because I'm one of these people," he told the audience. "Though I may have been invisible to you in the streets, I have the same dreams as many of you."
"Los Angeles, entertainment capital, has the largest population of homeless youth in America," he continued. "The music industry will make over $7 billion this year, and outside these doors are 54,000 human beings who have no place to call home."
People may check Cyrus' Facebook page to help raise awareness for homeless youth and make donations to a shelter called My Friend's Place. Fans who donate will have a chance to have a VIP experience at Cyrus' upcoming show in Rio de Janeiro on September 28 and hang out with the "Wrecking Ball" hitmaker.
"My Friend's Place is so grateful for Miley's genuine interest and involvement in supporting homeless youth in Los Angeles. By Miley drawing attention to the nation's homeless youth crisis and the work we are doing locally, we hope to soon be able to expand our services and help even more young people," said My Friend's Place Executive Director Heather Carmichael in a statement.
Cyrus' Video of the Year trophy was presented by Jimmy Fallon. Following the win, the 21-year-old pop star had a small celebration with Jesse. "Me and my hero at in n out celebratin #myfriendsplace #mtvvmas2014," she captioned a sweet photo of them.
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch
- The Internet Mocks Donald Trump for Sniffling and Drinking a Lot During Presidential Debate
- Listen to DNCE's New Single 'Body Moves'
- New 'Luke Cage' Trailer Reveals Surprise Cameos
- Jessica Simpson's Marriage in Trouble? She and Husband Reportedly 'Fighting Non-Stop' for Months
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Which Pairs Win Immunity in Face-Off Week?
- Rob Kardashian Tweets Kylie's Number as He Blasts His Family for Snubbing Blac Chyna
- Report: Drake Is Actually Gay and His Rihanna Romance Is Fake