NBC Announces 'The Music Man' Live Production for 2015
NBC will take on "The Music Man" for another live musical production. The network announces plans for its third musical event while still preparing for a live version of "Peter Pan", which will follow up the successful "The Sound of Music Live!".
No air date is set for the live version of "The Music Man" but considering that the live "Peter Pan", which is eyed for a December 4 premiere, is still in the the casting stage, the "Music Man" may arrive as early as 2015. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who serve as executive producers for both "The Sound of Music Live!" and "Peter Pan" live productions, are expected to return for the live "Music Man".
"The Music Man", based on a story by Willson and Franklin Lacey, first hit the Broadway in 1957. It starred Robert Preston as Harold Hill, a con man who poses as a boys' band organizer and leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to the naive Iowa townsfolk, promising to train the members of the new band.
The stage musical won five Tony Awards and was turned into a 1962 feature film with Preston reprising his role. Zadan and Meron later produced a 2003 TV movie based on the play with Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenoweth among the cast.
Following NBC's success with "The Sound of Music Live!", FOX has also announced "Grease Live" special for 2015 based on the 1971 Broadway musical, which was adapted into a 1978 movie starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Videos of Skinny-Dipping Session and Wild Twerking
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott 'Definitely Looked Like a Couple' at NBA Game
- Aaron Hernandez Asked to Share Prison Cell With Alleged Gay Lover
- 'Jurassic Park' Alum Jeff Goldblum Joins 'Jurassic World 2'
- 'The Voice' Live Top 12 Eliminations: Who Is the First to Get Sent Home?
- Justin Bieber Is Featured on DJ Khaled's Star-Studded Single 'I'm the One'
- Nicki Minaj's Getting Trolled for Blonde Bob Wig: 'I'm Tired of Being Bullied'
- Selena Gomez's '13 Reasons Why' Sparks Concerns Among School Officials and Health Experts