FOX Plans Live 'Grease' Special for 2015
"Grease" is getting its first-ever small-screen treatment. FOX announces "Grease Live" special for 2015. The live musical event is based on the 1971 Broadway musical from Warren Casey and Jim Jacobs, which has spanned a hit 1978 film starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
"From Broadway to film, and across generations, 'Grease' is one of the most beloved musical stories ever told - and we can't wait to bring it to our air in a spectacular live event," says Shana C. Waterman, senior VP of event series for Fox.
"Its iconic characters and addictive songs make it the perfect fit for FOX, and we're going to give it the kind of star power and production quality to make every Sandy, Danny, Rizzo and Kenickie out there want to get up and sing along."
"Grease Live" comes on the heels of the huge success of NBC's "The Sound of Music Live!", a live TV special airing last December. Based on the Broadway musical by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, it paired Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer as the lead couple.
The Peacock will next take on another popular Broadway musical, "Peter Pan", for the upcoming live special scheduled to air in December.
- Brad Pitt Is Cocky General in Teaser for Netflix's 'War Machine'
- Oprah Winfrey Considers Running for President, Thanks to Donald Trump
- Andi Dorfman Sparks Plastic Surgery Rumors
- Madonna Is Turning to Ex Sean Penn Amid Adoption Crisis
- 'Beauty and the Beast' Will Feature Disney's First Gay Character
- Jay-Z and Chris Martin Enjoy Night Out in WeHo
- Kris Is Convincing Caitlyn Jenner to Return to 'KUWTK' After 'I Am Cait' Cancellation
- Lady GaGa Confirms Coachella Gig With Line-Up Photo