Oscars 2014: Matthew McConaughey and Cate Blanchett Win Best Actor and Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, who won last year's Best Actress but missed out this year's Best Supporting Actress, took the stage at the 86th annual Academy Awards on March 2 to announce Best Actor. Matthew McConaughey won it, following his co-star Jared Leto who already got Best Supporting Actor earlier at the event.
"Thank you to the other nominees, all these performances were impeccable," he said. "I wanna thank John-Marc Valles, our director, Jared Leto, Jennifer Garner. ... To my family - that's what I look forward to. My father is up there with a pot of gumbo, a Miller lite, probably in his underwear. You taught me to be a man."
He continued, "To my mom, who taught me to respect myself. And to my hero, that's who I chase: it's me in 10 years. Every day, every week, every month of my life, my hero's always 10 years away. Just keep livin'. Thank you."
Cate Blanchett won Best Actress for "Blue Jasmine". She said, "As random and as subjective as this award is, it means a great deal." She also thanked director Woody Allen and gave her fellow nominees a shout-out, "Judi Dench is not here tonight, because at the age of 79, her career is so successful that she's in India doing a sequel!"
Best Director was presented by Angelina Jolie and Sidney Poitier. The award went to Alfonso Cuaron for "Gravity", marking his second win that night. "It was definitely a transformative experience," the filmmaker said of his seven-year hard work of making the 3D movie.
"Her", a film about a lone writer who falls for his virtual assistant, took home its first win through Best Original Screenplay which was awarded to Spike Jonze. Meanwhile, "12 Years a Slave" which is based on a memoir by 1980s runaway slave Solomon Northup got Best Adapted Screenplay. John Ridley took the prize.
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna