Oscars 2014: Ellen DeGeneres Mocks Jennifer Lawrence's Latest Fall in Opening Monologue
Ellen DeGeneres picked Jennifer Lawrence as one of her joke targets during her opening monologue at the 86th Annual Academy Awards. The daytime talk show host began turning her attention to the "American Hustle" actress as she compared the prize-giving event to Lawrence's other movie "The Hunger Games".
"There are cameras everywhere, Jennifer Lawrence is here ... it's 'The Hunger Games'," she joked. "Jennifer, by the way, I'm not going to bring up what happened last year when you...," she said, before reminding everyone that Lawrence fell on her way up to the stage to collect her prize last year, pretending that she's going to play a video of the incident.
She later mentioned Lawrence's latest trip earlier that night. "The thing when you fell out of the car tonight? No one needs to know that, I'm not going to mention that," DeGeneres said, adding, "She fell out of the car, like on an orange cone you tripped or something." She added," If you win tonight, I think we should bring you the Oscar. We can do that, right?"
Lawrence, rocking a red peplum dress by Dior, tripped over a cone on the red carpet as she excitedly waved to the crowd. "I did trip over a cone," she told Entertainment Weekly. "I'm not safe."
Also during her opening monologue, DeGeneres recalled the last time she hosted the show. "Last time I was here, Cate Blanchett was nominated, Meryl Streep was nominated, Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated ... it was so different," she said, as the three actors were nominated again this year.
She ended her speech by saying that there were so many possibilities that night. "Possibility #1: '12 Years a Slave' wins," she said. "Possibility #2: You're all racists."
- Watch Nick Jonas' Calvin Klein-Esque Video for 'Remember I Told You' Ft. Anne-Marie and Mike Posner
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Rachel Ends Lee-Kenny Feud, Sends Home Six Guys
- Report: Rob Kardashian Says He Pays All of Blac Chyna's Bills
- 'America's Got Talent' Week 5: Guy Sings Whitney Houston's 'I Have Nothing' Like It's Nothing
- Remy Ma Totally Expects Nicki Minaj's Diss at NBA Awards
- Desperate Bella Hadid Is Jealous of The Weeknd and Selena Gomez's Romance
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Reveals A.D. in Series Finale. Did You See It Coming?
- AMC Renews 'Better Call Saul' for Season 4