Oscars 2014: '12 Years a Slave' Wins Best Picture as Full Winners Are Revealed
The 2014 Academy Awards closed out Sunday night, March 2 with the announcement of Best Picture winner. The top prize was handed by Will Smith to "12 Years a Slave". It's the third win for the movie, following Lupita Nyong'o's Best Supporting Actress victory and John Ridley's Best Adapted Screenplay triumph.
The historical slavery drama directed by Steve McQueen won the most coveted Oscar award after facing a stiff competition against "American Hustle", "Captain Phillips", "Dallas Buyers Club", "Gravity", "Her", "Nebraska", "Philomena", and "The Wolf of Wall Street".
"I know I speak for everyone standing behind me when I say that it's been an absolute privilege to work on Solomon's story," said producer Brad Pitt who also had a role in the movie. "Thanks to the indomitable Mr. Steve McQueen."
The director himself said, "Thanks so much to the Academy. To my wonderful cast and crew -- Brad Pitt, without whom this film would never have been made. I'd like to thank my mother for her hard-headedness. Everyone deserves not just to survive, but to life. I dedicate this award to all the people who have endured slavery and the 21 million people who still suffer slavery today."
Meanwhile, leading the whole pack was "Gravity". The 3D movie starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney bagged a total of seven prizes including Best Director for Alfonso Cuaron and swept almost all the technical awards like Best Cinematography and Best Visual Effects.
Best Actor and Supporting Actor went to "Dallas Buyers Club" duo Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, while Best Actress was handed out to "Blue Jasmine" star Cate Blanchett. Spike Jonze's "Her" script was named Best Original Screenplay, Disney's "Frozen (2013)" collected Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song, while "The Great Gatsby" won Best Costume and Production Design.
Despite leading the nominations with 10 nods like "Gravity", David O. Russell's take on true-story FBI operation "American Hustle" failed to take home any award. "The Wolf of Wall Street" came home empty-handed as well.
- Best Picture: "12 Years a Slave"
- Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron - "Gravity"
- Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey - "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Best Actress: Cate Blanchett - "Blue Jasmine"
- Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto - "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o - "12 Years a Slave"
- Best Original Screenplay: Spike Jonze - "Her"
- Best Adapted Screenplay: John Ridley - "12 Years a Slave"
- Best Animated Feature Film: "Frozen (2013)"
- Best Foreign Language Film: "The Great Beauty"
- Best Documentary - Feature: "Twenty Feet From Stardom"
- Best Documentary - Short Subject: "The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life"
- Best Live Action Short Film: "Helium"
- Best Animated Short Film: "Mr Hublot"
- Best Original Score: "Gravity" - Steven Price
- Best Original Song: "Let It Go" from "Frozen (2013)" - Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
- Best Sound Editing: "Gravity" - Glenn Freemantle
- Best Sound Mixing: "Gravity" - Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, and Chris Munro
- Best Production Design: "The Great Gatsby" - Catherine Martin (Production Design); Beverley Dunn (Set Decoration)
- Best Cinematography: "Gravity" - Emmanuel Lubezki
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: "Dallas Buyers Club" - Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews
- Best Costume Design: "The Great Gatsby" - Catherine Martin
- Best Film Editing: "Gravity" - Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger
- Best Visual Effects: "Gravity" - Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, and Neil Corbould
- Shia LaBeouf Flashes His Penis While Peeing at the Beach
- Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell Boozing and Whining in 'Bad Moms Christmas' Red Band Teaser Trailer
- Alec Baldwin Accidentally Reveals He and Wife Hilaria Are Renewing Their Wedding Vows
- Here's John Mayer's Cool Response to Katy Perry Ranking Him No. 1 in Bed
- Taylor Swift Is Working on Collaboration With Drake
- Emilia Clarke Says Being a Woman in Hollywood Is 'Like Dealing With Racism'
- Is Rihanna's New Man Hassan Jameel the Reason Behind Her Alleged Feud With Naomi Campbell?
- MTV Responds to Criticism Over 'Teen Mom OG' Star Ryan Edwards' DUI Scene