Pharrell's 'G I R L' Album Cover Draws Racial Controversy
Pharrell Williams' highly-anticipated new album "G I R L" has sparked racial controversy. Some people took to social media to voice their opinions about the album's cover which features the Grammy Award-winning producer being surrounded by three ladies clad in white bathrobes.
Fans are not happy with the fact that none of the ladies are black. They think the 40-year-old black artist has failed to represent black women in the media. Notable writer Dream Hampton also expressed her disappoinmnet on Twitter and drew mixed reactions from fellow users.
"I'm sure Pharrell's album is great, he's been making the best music of his life. Cover was disappointing. Google Chokwe Lumumba," veteran hip-hop journalist/filmmaker Hampton tweeted on Wednesday, February 26.
Her statement was supported by other ladies. Another Twitter user wrote, "Well... I can only speak for me. Here's what I want: For Black women of all hues to be represented proportionately in popular culture."
Some other fans think that the absence of black women in the cover is not a big deal. "Why people trippin bout Pharrell album cover? I dnt see why they saying it's racist," said one fan. Another added, "As a member of the minority group, Pharrell choosing to exclude black females from his album cover cannot, by definition, be a racist act."
Pharrell hasn't commented on the controversy. His "G I R L" album is coming out on March 4 and will feature the superstar's collaborations with Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus, Alicia Keys and Daft Punk. The album is powered by chart-topping hit "Happy", which is currently up for the Best Original Song award at Oscars.
More Pharrell Williams News
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber
- Chanel Iman Stars in Flo Rida's Flashy Video for 'Zillionaire'