HBO Cancels 'Boardwalk Empire' After Five Seasons, Sets 'Game of Thrones' Return Date
HBO will soon end Nucky's bootlegging business empire. Despite the show's considerably solid ratings, the premium cable channel has decided to end "Boardwalk Empire" after the upcoming season 5.
The network made the announcement at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena on Thursday, January 9. Michael Lombardo, president of programming at HBO, said, "It has been an incredible honor to bring this powerful and groundbreaking series to our subscribers. Terry Winter [series creator] has created one for the ages."
Winter added, "We're thrilled to get the go-ahead for a fifth season of 'Boardwalk Empire'. After much discussion with my creative team and HBO, we've decided to wrap up the series after such a great run and look forward to bringing it to a powerful and exciting conclusion."
The fifth and now final season of the period drama will premiere this coming fall. The show has received numerous critical acclaims and nominations at awards shows, including Golden Globe Award for best drama series in 2011.
In addition to setting the end date for "Boardwalk Empire", HBO has announced premiere dates for its returning and new series. The highly-anticipated fourth season of "Game of Thrones" will debut Sunday, April 6, at 9/8c. The first official trailer will arrive this Sunday before the series premiere of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson-starring "True Detective".
Premiering on the same night will be season 3 of "Veep" starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and new comedy series "Silicon Valley". Season 2 of "Vice" will launch Friday, March 14 at 11 P.M., while Ryan Murphy's TV-movie adaptation of "The Normal Heart" is slated to premiere in May.
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'