Rae Dawn Chong Explains Racial Slur Against Oprah Winfrey
Actress Rae Dawn Chong offers explanation following N-word slur she launched against Oprah Winfrey. In a video statement, the "Commando" actress said that the audio recording of her slamming Oprah using racial slur was "taken out of context."
Rae also said that she regretted her choice of words, but did not apologize. The actress, who was Oprah's co-star in 1985's "The Color Purple", defended her statement in the 1-minute video, saying that she meant to compliment the media mogul.
Previously, TMZ posted an audio recording of Rae slamming the talk show host during an interview with "Matty P's Radio Happy Hour" on June 27. The actress said that Oprah was "lovely" on "The Color Purple" filming set, but Rae claimed that Oprah was envious because she starred in movie hit "Commando" alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger.
"That's when she was a total biotch. I starred in 'Commando.' And she just wasn't having me. She's competitive. She didn't like me," the daughter of comedian Tommy Chong said. She went further, "The thing that's really great about Oprah that you can't take away from her is that she's a great brown-nose. If you go into a room with her she will pick the most powerful person and will become best friends with them."
Rae even criticized Oprah's physical appearance, saying, "She was the fat chick in school that did everything and everyone loved her," and dropped the N-word. "If you look at the way [Oprah] looks, she looks like 60 years ago she would have been a house keeper luckily. She would have not been a house [N-word] she would have been a field [N-word]," she said.
Rae, however, concluded the radio interview with a compliment. "This woman is a miracle and I respect her and I say kudos to you, and I don't give two cents about the other parts of it. She shifted the DNA in terms of our thinking of a woman of a certain size and a certain shade. I love her for that," she praised the talk show host.
Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic