Justin Bieber and Usher Slapped With $10 Million Lawsuit Over 'Somebody to Love'
It's now already been years since Justin Bieber and his mentor, Usher, released the remix version of the track "Somebody to Love", for the former's 2011 album "Never Say Never - The Remixes" and the latter's 2010 EP "Versus". The two artists are now facing a $10 million copyright infringement lawsuit over their hit dance track collaboration.
R'n'B singer Devin Copeland a.k.a. De Rico and songwriter Mareio Overton filed the lawsuit in a U.S. District court in eastern Virginia on Thursday, May 2, claiming they were the originators of "Somebody to Love", having written the song back in 2008 and eventually releasing it on De Rico's album "My Story II". Their song reportedly found its way to Usher by way of a promoter who hooked the two with music talent scouting company Sangreel Media who apparently had exposed De Rico's album to the Grammy Award winner.
The pair also claimed they went as far as getting in touch with Usher's mom/manager Jonetta Patton, who allegedly said Usher had already listened to De Rico's album and had expressed interest in bringing the singer along with him on his tour. Although Usher did not record the song, his demo version on YouTube along with Bieber's recording of it in his "My World 2.0" album is said to be speaking volumes as to how much they liked the single.
Besides the same song title, the lawsuit cites other similarities between the original and the copied version such as the time signature and chorus hook, as well as the chords, the call and response passages at similar points in the song, but most especially the common use of one measure of strategic silence just prior to or at the beginning of the chorus.
More Justin Bieber News
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation