Justin Bieber and Usher Slapped With $10 Million Lawsuit Over 'Somebody to Love'
It's now already been years since Justin Bieber and his mentor, Usher, released the remix version of the track "Somebody to Love", for the former's 2011 album "Never Say Never - The Remixes" and the latter's 2010 EP "Versus". The two artists are now facing a $10 million copyright infringement lawsuit over their hit dance track collaboration.
R'n'B singer Devin Copeland a.k.a. De Rico and songwriter Mareio Overton filed the lawsuit in a U.S. District court in eastern Virginia on Thursday, May 2, claiming they were the originators of "Somebody to Love", having written the song back in 2008 and eventually releasing it on De Rico's album "My Story II". Their song reportedly found its way to Usher by way of a promoter who hooked the two with music talent scouting company Sangreel Media who apparently had exposed De Rico's album to the Grammy Award winner.
The pair also claimed they went as far as getting in touch with Usher's mom/manager Jonetta Patton, who allegedly said Usher had already listened to De Rico's album and had expressed interest in bringing the singer along with him on his tour. Although Usher did not record the song, his demo version on YouTube along with Bieber's recording of it in his "My World 2.0" album is said to be speaking volumes as to how much they liked the single.
Besides the same song title, the lawsuit cites other similarities between the original and the copied version such as the time signature and chorus hook, as well as the chords, the call and response passages at similar points in the song, but most especially the common use of one measure of strategic silence just prior to or at the beginning of the chorus.
More Justin Bieber News
- Kim Kardashian Admits That Her Curvy Figure Makes Her Feel Insecure
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert
- Ben Affleck Risks His Life in New 'The Accountant' Trailer
- An Uber Driver Failing to Recognize Lorde Brags About Another Celebrity Passenger
- Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian Make Fun of Dating Rumors While Posing for a Selfie
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion