Oscars 2013: 'Django Unchained', 'Paperman' and 'Brave' Are Early Winners
The 85th annual Academy Awards was finally kicked off this Sunday, February 24. The ceremony, which has been rumored to be one of the longest Oscar shows in history, began as host Seth MacFarlane took the stage and joked about his hosting stint, Ben Affleck's snub, Daniel Day-Lewis freeing Don Cheadle, and the use of N-word in "Django Unchained". He made Tommy Lee Jones laugh during the process.
Soon after the opening monolog, which included MacFarlane singing and dancing with Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron, early winners at the biggest film awards event were announced with the first victor being Christoph Waltz. He snatched the Best Supporting Actor gong thanks to "Django" and went on thanking Quentin Tarantino and the rest of the cast after taking his Oscar from presenter Octavia Spencer.
Next, Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy presented the Best Animated Short Film award. The winner was "Paperman" with John Khars accepting the prize before thanking the Academy. As for the Best Animated Feature, the Oscar went to "Brave". Director Mark Andrews picked up the prize and joked, "I just happened to be wearing the kilt," referencing to the Scottish theme of the film.
Meanwhile, "Life of Pi" took its first two Oscars as presenter Robert Downey Jr. and "The Avengers" cast handed out the Best Cinematography prize to Claudio Miranda. After that, Samuel L. Jackson announced that the Ang Lee-helmed movie was also the winner of the Best Visual Effects gong.
This year's Oscars has "music in film" as its theme. Still ongoing at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood & Highland Center, the prestigious awards will unveil more winners soon. The show is currently broadcast live on the ABC Television Network in more than 225 countries.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March