Oscars 2013: 'Django Unchained', 'Paperman' and 'Brave' Are Early Winners
The 85th annual Academy Awards was finally kicked off this Sunday, February 24. The ceremony, which has been rumored to be one of the longest Oscar shows in history, began as host Seth MacFarlane took the stage and joked about his hosting stint, Ben Affleck's snub, Daniel Day-Lewis freeing Don Cheadle, and the use of N-word in "Django Unchained". He made Tommy Lee Jones laugh during the process.
Soon after the opening monolog, which included MacFarlane singing and dancing with Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron, early winners at the biggest film awards event were announced with the first victor being Christoph Waltz. He snatched the Best Supporting Actor gong thanks to "Django" and went on thanking Quentin Tarantino and the rest of the cast after taking his Oscar from presenter Octavia Spencer.
Next, Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy presented the Best Animated Short Film award. The winner was "Paperman" with John Khars accepting the prize before thanking the Academy. As for the Best Animated Feature, the Oscar went to "Brave". Director Mark Andrews picked up the prize and joked, "I just happened to be wearing the kilt," referencing to the Scottish theme of the film.
Meanwhile, "Life of Pi" took its first two Oscars as presenter Robert Downey Jr. and "The Avengers" cast handed out the Best Cinematography prize to Claudio Miranda. After that, Samuel L. Jackson announced that the Ang Lee-helmed movie was also the winner of the Best Visual Effects gong.
This year's Oscars has "music in film" as its theme. Still ongoing at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood & Highland Center, the prestigious awards will unveil more winners soon. The show is currently broadcast live on the ABC Television Network in more than 225 countries.
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective
- Too Fat! Top Doc Says Mariah Carey Risks Heart Disease After Ballooning to 263 Pounds
- Girls' Generation's Tae Yeon and Hyoyeon Call Out NCT Stalkers on Instagram Story
- Jon Hamm Is a Hologram Husband in Eerie Trailer for Sci-Fi 'Marjorie Prime'
- Kendall Jenner Tries to Win Harry Styles Back by Posting Racy Photos on Social Media
- One Dead, Seven Injured After Ride Malfunctions at Ohio State Fair