'American Idol' Recap: Former 'Glee Project' Contestant and Fire Scare
The latest episode of "American Idol" featured auditions in two cities, San Antonio and Long Beach. Opening the show was Vincent Powell, who almost made it into semifinals in the past season of "Idol". He sang "Rock Me Baby" and was sent to Hollywood.
In San Antonio, the judges were also wowed with performances by Savannah Votion, Cristabel Clack, Ann Difani, Sanni Mi'Miaurra and Adam Sanders. Papa Peachez got the judges divided, but he made it through after Nicki Minaj convinced Randy Jackson to change his mind and gave a "yes."
The judges later moved to Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif. Matt Farmer shared an inspirational story. He was injured while serving in Iraq, and the medication was supposed to render him sterile, but now he is a father to three daughters. His rendition of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come" showed off his pipes and he got a golden ticket.
A fire alarm went off when Jessiah Baer was singing "Settle Down" by Kimbra, and everybody was told to leave the ship. It was just a warning, and Jessiah sang again when they returned. She was sent to Hollywood.
Micah Johnson had a speech impediment after a tonsil surgery, during which the doctor hit a nerve. Despite the speech issue, he sang Zac Brown Band's "Chicken Fried" very well and got unanimous "yes" from the judges.
Another sob story shared by Briana Oakley, who said she was bullied when she was in school, where she was forced to eat in the bathroom. She covered Patty Griffin's "Up to the Mountain" and Keith Urban commented, "Your control, your range, your light, your cool hair, it all worked for me." She made it into the next round.
Matheus Fernandez wrapped up the show that night with his rendition of "The Change Is Gonna Come". The small guy who often got bullied over his height was one of the 12 contestants in "The Glee Project" season 1. "To me, you're 10 feet tall right now," Randy said as the judges gave him a go.
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital