Robin Roberts Announces Return to 'GMA' Anchor Chair After Bone Marrow Transplant
Robin Roberts is recovering well after having bone marrow transplant following her MDS diagnosis. The 52-year-old newcaster opened "Good Morning America" on Monday, January 14 by announcing that she's returning to the breakfast morning show. She will be back soon after she gets a go from her doctors.
"I'm so happy to be sharing this news with everybody," she began. "My blood count continues to improve. My beloved sister, Sally-Ann, my donor. Her cells continue to make themselves at home in my body. The big news is that my last bone marrow aspiration - I've lost count how many I've had - but the last bone marrow test showed no abnormalities."
"The majority of the marrow is my sister's and it is healthy. Praise God. What all this means, my doctors are waiting for this information to be able to tell me that I can be in the process of returning to the anchor chair," she continued. "I'm coming home."
"It's like an athlete coming off of injured reserve," she went on. "They don't go right back in the starting lineup, they go to practice, they throw the ball, they see how their body reacts and my fabulous doctors have come up with a game plan for me. So, the process for re entry for me is…I got up at 4:00 this morning. I have to get back on 'GMA' time."
"I have a date in mind that's very personal and important to me," she said of when she wants to come back, "but I'll listen to what my doctors say." She additionally stated, "What happens now is after I go through this dry run, my doctors will sit down with me again and evaluate where I am. We're talking now weeks, not months. I should be back sometime in February."
"I haven't been live on television since August," she said. "My heart is beating so fast right now, but it means that I am alive. I am so grateful to be as inspired as I am. I can't wait 'til I get back."
- NSFW Alert! Barbara Palvin Ditches Panties to Recreate Sharon Stone's 'Basic Instinct' Scene
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Finale Title Revealed - Here's How It May Hint at the Plot
- 'Justice League 2' Pushed Back to Make Room for Ben Affleck's 'Batman'
- Alexa PenaVega Gives Birth to First Child With Husband Carlos
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy