Video: Jimmy Kimmel Gets Emotional Addressing Newtown Shooting in Monologue
Jimmy Kimmel couldn't hide his sadness over the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday. Hosting "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Monday, December 17, he got choked up as he addressed the tragic incident in his opening monologue.
"I think the president said what needed to be said last night on television, I think he said it beautifully," he began talking about the mass shooting. Offering his condolence to the victims' families, he added, "I just want the people of Newtown to know we're not taking what you're going through lightly, and we are thinking of you a lot, all of us."
After stating that it's weird to do a show with so much sadness, he pointed out, "My job is to give you a little break from being sad, and I'll do my best to do that." The host then cracked a joke while his face still looked somber, "So do you want to see some Christmas lights shaped like a penis?"
On "Late Show", David Letterman also reacted to the tragic incident. "You drop your kid off and you don't see him again? Honestly? That's really life now? That's what it's going to be?" he said in a serious tone.
Sharing his thought on the debate of gun control and mental issue, he stated, "I'm not dumb enough to think that this is a problem of guns. Before there were guns, people were killing one another and so you can't just say it's guns. You can't just it's mental health or emotional problems because people with all manner of problems don't necessarily kill each other."
As it was reported, on December 14, a man identified as Adam Lanza opened fire at the school where his mother worked as a kindergarten teacher. Twenty-six people died, with twenty of them children ages 5 to 10.
More Jimmy Kimmel Live! News
- Azealia Banks Unveils 'So Ghetto' Freestyle, RZA Sides With Russell Crowe After Record Deal Canceled
- Sofia Richie Blasts Tobey Maguire Romance Rumors
- Shailene Woodley Pleads Not Guilty in Pipeline Protest
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Get Nose Jobs as Humanoid Pets
- Stephen Baldwin Not Fan of Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump Impersonation on 'SNL'
- Kanye West Rips Jay-Z in Shocking Rant: 'There Will Never Be a Watch the Throne 2'
- 'Logan' Introduces X-23 in Official Teaser Trailer
- Watch This Chilling Video of Kim Kardashian Paris Robbery!