Mariah Carey Close to Be New 'American Idol' Judge, Carrie Underwood Being Approached
"American Idol" maybe close to nab a diva to fill the slot left open by Jennifer Lopez. Words on the street are, Mariah Carey is nearing a deal to join the singing competition as a new judge and she could receive a $17 million paycheck from the stint.
According to Deadline, the FOX reality series moved quickly to secure the "Obsessed" songstress because the show has to set its taped auditions. The 42-year-old mother of two was previously courted for Simon Cowell's "The X Factor (US)".
In addition to hiring Carey, FOX is reportedly approaching some "Idol" alums to join the show in some capacity. Radar Online reports that Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks, Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken are some of those who have been contacted by the network.
"Idol is reaching out to try and gauge the interest of former contestants coming back on the show to participate in some way," a so-called insider tells the site. "They wouldn't necessarily be in judging positions, but the show wants them involved."
Carey, Lambert, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj and Stacy Ferguson a.k.a. Fergie have been mentioned as the possible new judges of "Idol" since Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez announced their exits earlier this July. Randy Jackson is currently the only remaining judge, but it has been rumored that he might be replaced as well and moved "into a more mentoring role."
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked