Mariah Carey Close to Be New 'American Idol' Judge, Carrie Underwood Being Approached
"American Idol" maybe close to nab a diva to fill the slot left open by Jennifer Lopez. Words on the street are, Mariah Carey is nearing a deal to join the singing competition as a new judge and she could receive a $17 million paycheck from the stint.
According to Deadline, the FOX reality series moved quickly to secure the "Obsessed" songstress because the show has to set its taped auditions. The 42-year-old mother of two was previously courted for Simon Cowell's "The X Factor (US)".
In addition to hiring Carey, FOX is reportedly approaching some "Idol" alums to join the show in some capacity. Radar Online reports that Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks, Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken are some of those who have been contacted by the network.
"Idol is reaching out to try and gauge the interest of former contestants coming back on the show to participate in some way," a so-called insider tells the site. "They wouldn't necessarily be in judging positions, but the show wants them involved."
Carey, Lambert, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj and Stacy Ferguson a.k.a. Fergie have been mentioned as the possible new judges of "Idol" since Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez announced their exits earlier this July. Randy Jackson is currently the only remaining judge, but it has been rumored that he might be replaced as well and moved "into a more mentoring role."
More American Idol News
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'
- John Boyega Play in London Cut Short Due to Bomb Threat
- Joseph Duggar Engaged to Kendra Caldwell at His Sister Joy-Anna's Wedding
- Gregg Allman Dies After Battle With Liver Cancer, Ex-Wife Cher Mourns Him
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic