Nigel Barker on 'America's Next Top Model' Shakeup: I Don't Think It's a Good Idea
According to Nigel Barker, "America's Next Top Model" might have made a mistake by firing him and two other longtime co-stars. Commenting on The CW's decision not to renew his contract, the former model said, "I don't necessarily think it's a good idea."
The English photographer, who had been a judge on the show since the first season, believed he got the boot because the network wants to completely revamp the show, but he doubts that this strategy will work. "Who knows if this is going to work?" he told TMZ. "Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. I wish them luck."
One thing that may be a great challenge for the show, according to Barker, is to find his replacement as he said, "I would imagine it's a tricky thing to replace someone who's going on their 19th season." The 39-year-old went on adding, "Good luck to whoever [replaces me]."
In another interview with E! Online, Barker said he was not shocked by the firing. "It wasn't a shock," so he claimed. "I'm friends with Tyra and the producers. There had been a discussion that ratings were down and that something like this would happen."
He even revealed that there had been discussions about him getting eliminated from the show in the previous years, but he "survived the chopping block." Noting that it's not Tyra Banks' decision to cut him, he insisted, "This isn't a Tyra thing. This is a network thing."
He continued affirming that he maintains a good relationship with the show's host as saying, "We had an incredible run and there aren't any hard feelings."
Barker is now planning his own TV show that focuses on "some of [his] passions like photography." Sharing updates from the show's development, he revealed, "We're looking at producing and directing a number of projects. There are several scripts we're looking at right now."
Barker is not the only one who got axed from "ANTM". J. Alexander, who had been a runaway coach since the second season, and photo shoot director Jay Manuel, who had appeared since the inaugural season, will not return to the upcoming 19th cycle of the reality series as well.
More America's Next Top Model News
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars