Erika Van Pelt Leaves 'American Idol' After Failing to Wow Judges With 'I Believe in You and Me'
Erika Van Pelt had to end her road on "American Idol" season 11. The inspiring singer, who received positive comments from the judges for her makeover the night before, learned her fate on Thursday night, March 22 as she failed to impress the judges with her final performance.
Erika, who was a wild-card entry, was on the bottom three with Heejun Han and DeAndre Brackensick. After her two friends were declared safe, she tried to convince the judges to save her by singing The Four Tops' "I Believe in You and Me", but Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson decided to let her go.
Earlier in the night, mentor Jimmy Iovine praised fashion consultant Tommy Hilfiger for giving a stylish makeover to Erika who now sports a black-dyed short hair. Commenting on her performance, he said, "As far as Erika's singing, she deserves to be at the top of the batch."
Jimmy, however, sang a different tune for Heejun and DeAndre. The label boss agreed with Steven that Heejun "came out and disrespected the entire process." As for DeAndre, the mentor thought the "jumping and bopping" he did on the performance night didn't suit the song.
The results show featured performances by Lana Del Rey and "Idol" alum Haley Reinhart. The former sang "Video Games", while the latter showcased her debut single "Free". Host Ryan Seacrest said, "Last week, the goal was to make the summer tour. This week if they survive elimination - the prize? Moving into the big mansion. ... It's a cool mansion."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie