Erika Van Pelt Leaves 'American Idol' After Failing to Wow Judges With 'I Believe in You and Me'
Erika Van Pelt had to end her road on "American Idol" season 11. The inspiring singer, who received positive comments from the judges for her makeover the night before, learned her fate on Thursday night, March 22 as she failed to impress the judges with her final performance.
Erika, who was a wild-card entry, was on the bottom three with Heejun Han and DeAndre Brackensick. After her two friends were declared safe, she tried to convince the judges to save her by singing The Four Tops' "I Believe in You and Me", but Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson decided to let her go.
Earlier in the night, mentor Jimmy Iovine praised fashion consultant Tommy Hilfiger for giving a stylish makeover to Erika who now sports a black-dyed short hair. Commenting on her performance, he said, "As far as Erika's singing, she deserves to be at the top of the batch."
Jimmy, however, sang a different tune for Heejun and DeAndre. The label boss agreed with Steven that Heejun "came out and disrespected the entire process." As for DeAndre, the mentor thought the "jumping and bopping" he did on the performance night didn't suit the song.
The results show featured performances by Lana Del Rey and "Idol" alum Haley Reinhart. The former sang "Video Games", while the latter showcased her debut single "Free". Host Ryan Seacrest said, "Last week, the goal was to make the summer tour. This week if they survive elimination - the prize? Moving into the big mansion. ... It's a cool mansion."
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week
- Three Potential Directors Lined Up to Helm 'Captain Marvel'
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maksim Chmerkovskiy Will Return, Ryan Lochte Is in Talks for Season 23
- Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie for Her Birthday After Partying With Bronte Blampied
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform 'Side to Side' at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Inside Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Proposal Plans