'Big Bang Theory' Mockery of 'Star Trek' Approved by J.J. Abrams
"The Big Bang Theory" gets lots of love for its 100th episode, which aired on Thursday night, January 19. Not only did the series top "American Idol" in adults demo, but it also received thumbs-up from J.J. Abrams despite its take on mocking his blockbuster movie "Star Trek".
In an interview on the red carpet of 2012 Producers Guild Awards, co-creator Bill Prady told TVLine that the director gave positive response when they asked for his approval. "We got a message back immediately from Zach [Quinto] and J.J. saying they loved the idea," he said.
The scene, which contains the "Star Trek" reference, features Sheldon Cooper receiving the cardboard cutout of Zachary Quinto's Mr. Spock, instead of that of Leonard Nimoy which he originally ordered. Getting upset with the mix-up, the geeky physicist told Spock to "suck it."
Prady dished on the story behind the outing, "In order to use that prop, which is a cardboard cutout of Spock [as seen] in the new movie series, you needed three approvals. You needed Paramount [Pictures], and you had to get Zach to approve it and you had to get J.J. Abrams to approve it."
The other thing they included in the approval request was the "suck it" line. He recalled, "I [told them], 'We need to, at some point, let Sheldon begin accepting there is a new Spock in the world, and we're going to have him start by not liking it at all. So if you're game, and you let us use it, we will begin the process of him coming to grips with Zachary Quinto as Spock'."
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Tops Box Office, 'Wonder Woman' Sets New Record
- A$AP Rocky Involved in a Fight During Kendrick Lamar's Set at Pre-BET Awards Party
- Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season
- BET Awards 2017: Leslie Jones Mocks Amber Rose's 'Bush' Pic, Pokes Fun at Young Rappers' Names
- BET Awards 2017: Jada Pinkett Smith and Cardi B Ditch Bras, Blac Chyna Flashes Butt on Red Carpet
- Lorde Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Melodrama'
- New 'Marvel's Inhumans' Poster Reveals First Look at Attilan
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors