'Big Bang Theory' Mockery of 'Star Trek' Approved by J.J. Abrams
"The Big Bang Theory" gets lots of love for its 100th episode, which aired on Thursday night, January 19. Not only did the series top "American Idol" in adults demo, but it also received thumbs-up from J.J. Abrams despite its take on mocking his blockbuster movie "Star Trek".
In an interview on the red carpet of 2012 Producers Guild Awards, co-creator Bill Prady told TVLine that the director gave positive response when they asked for his approval. "We got a message back immediately from Zach [Quinto] and J.J. saying they loved the idea," he said.
The scene, which contains the "Star Trek" reference, features Sheldon Cooper receiving the cardboard cutout of Zachary Quinto's Mr. Spock, instead of that of Leonard Nimoy which he originally ordered. Getting upset with the mix-up, the geeky physicist told Spock to "suck it."
Prady dished on the story behind the outing, "In order to use that prop, which is a cardboard cutout of Spock [as seen] in the new movie series, you needed three approvals. You needed Paramount [Pictures], and you had to get Zach to approve it and you had to get J.J. Abrams to approve it."
The other thing they included in the approval request was the "suck it" line. He recalled, "I [told them], 'We need to, at some point, let Sheldon begin accepting there is a new Spock in the world, and we're going to have him start by not liking it at all. So if you're game, and you let us use it, we will begin the process of him coming to grips with Zachary Quinto as Spock'."
More The Big Bang Theory News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?