AMAs 2011: Nicki Minaj Gets Robotic, Katy Perry Goes Acoustic
Celebrating its 36th anniversary, 2011 American Music Awards was opened with a high-energy performance by Nicki Minaj. Wearing metallic outfit and pink curly wig, the winner of Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist and Album kicked off her robotic set with "Turn Me On" with David Guetta spinning the turntable.
After pumping the crowd with the uplifting track, Minaj switched to inviting the audience into singing along with her pop-induced single "Super Bass". While she delivered the song with the company of two giant robots, Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez were seen rapping along the lyrics. The two young female singers are known as a fan of the song.
Halfway through the show, Katy Perry took the stage at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles wearing pink-colored ensemble from head to toe. Unlike Minaj who turned up the beat, Perry chose to slow down with an acoustic rendition of "The One That Got Away". She did the performance while strumming her pink guitar.
Perry was introduced by "Project Runway" host Heidi Klum. She was also presented with a special achievement award for becoming the first woman in the history of pop music to have five No. 1 singles from one album. She scored the unprecedented feat through singles from her 2010 album "Teenage Dream".
"Yay! Can I just say, thank you so much for letting me be a chameleon this year," she said. "I'm very, very, very pleased, and I want to give thanks to my amazing record label, EMI and Capitol. ... I'm about to wrap up my California Dreams Tour, 122 dates, so I want to thank my band and all the people that came out to see me, and all of you guys, 'cause you're pretty cool too!"
- Gwyneth Paltrow Shares Makeup-Free Selfie to Celebrate 44th Birthday
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie