Father Believes Amy Winehouse Died of Seizure Caused by Alcohol Detoxification
Amy Winehouse's father believes that the "Rehab" singer died after suffering a seizure caused by alcohol detoxification. Mitch Winehouse spoke about the untimely death of his daughter when sitting down with CNN journalist Anderson Cooper for the taping of "Anderson" premiere episode.
Ruling out rumors that illegal drugs might contribute to Amy's death, Mitch claimed, "She had a series of seizures brought on by this binge drinking and then stopping to drink." He went on to say, "I think it's what the doctor said. I think she had a seizure and this was the time when there was no one there to rescue her."
Mitch also stressed, "I've been banging on about the fact that she hasn't taken drugs in three years. Everyone thought I was in denial, I wasn't in denial, she hadn't taken drugs. She'd been clean for round about three years." He then pointed out, "Her problem was alcohol, the last few years of her life."
"You might argue, what's the difference? The difference is that what happened to Amy wasn't anything to do with drugs," he continued on explaining. "It might be that drugs took its toll in the early years, but there were no drugs in her system at all."
During the chat, Mitch did acknowledge that traces of the prescription drug Librium were found in Amy's body. Still, he was quick to explain, "She was prescribed Librium [Chlordiazepoxide], which is a normal drug that is given to people who are detoxing and it kind of decreases the chances of having seizures. And she was continuing to take one of those pills everyday."
Amy was found dead at the age of 27 in her Camden, north London home on July 23. Preliminary toxicology reports confirmed there were no illegal substances found in her system at the time of death, but indicated that alcohol was present. In the TV interview, Mitch commented, "Everything Amy did, she did to excess. She drank to excess and did detox to excess."
Also taking part in the interview to be aired in full on Monday, September 12 are Amy's mother Janis and boyfriend Reg Traviss. In a promo for the premiere episode, host Anderson Cooper said, "We all saw the struggle she was going through and I think everybody can relate to having somebody in their family who has a substance abuse problem."
- Ben Affleck 'Enjoys Being Single' After Divorcing Jennifer Garner
- Cashmere Cat Previews New Single 'Quit' Ft. Ariana Grande
- 'Scream' Season 3 to Get Makeover With New Cast and Location
- Drake Throws Shade at Jennifer Lopez While Staying at the Same Resort Shortly After Her Visit
- Stephen Colbert and Conan O'Brien Joke About Ivanka Trump Getting Booed in Germany
- Ewan McGregor Is in Talks to Star in Disney's 'Christopher Robin'
- Khloe Kardashian Hit With Lawsuit for Sharing Unlicensed Photo of Herself on Instagram
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott Continue Their Love Affair With a Trip to Mall