Lee DeWyze Explains 'American Idol' Snubbing Drama
When Scotty McCreery was crowned season 10 winner of "American Idol" on Wednesday night, May 25, Lee DeWyze was nowhere to be seen on stage. After the finale, executive producer Nigel Lythgoe took to Twitter to share that the season 9 winner refused to take part. Lee, however, was quick to clarify why he turned down the offer.
Making use of his Twitter to clear up speculations, the 25-year-old singer first pointed out, "I was not asked to be involved in the Finale." He went on to detail, "It wasn't until about 2 minutes before they announced that Nigel had approached me and asked if he could 'borrow' me for a second. I didnt feel a last second jump on stage was appropriate. It was Scotty's moment."
"I appreciate American Idol, and the opportunity it has given me. And the people who have made that show possible. I am not angry, or bitter etc. It was an amazing Finale, and I would have loved to be a part of it. I just wasnt asked," he continued on. "Good luck to all the Contestants and stay true to yourself. Thanks everyone for your support, tour coming up... Good times :)"
In the long tweet, the "Sweet Serendipity" singer also congratulated both winner Scotty and runner-up Lauren Alaina. He wrote in the beginning of the posting, "I want to say congrats to Scotty & Lauren, awesome job. Well done Scotty!"
Lee did attend the finale on Wednesday night. He was seen taking a seat in the fifth row among the audience. Hours before he came up with the clarification, executive producer Nigel tweeted, "I was so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn't present the winners trophy to Scotty. Especially as he'd been on the show this Season. I guess he was shy."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival