Chris Meloni Quits 'Law and Order: SVU', James Olmos Joins 'Dexter'
"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" is losing one of its central characters. It has been revealed that Christopher Meloni will not reprise his role as Detective Elliot Stabler when the show returns for a thirteenth season.
A source says the talks between the actor, who joined the drama series since season 1, and studio NBC Universal broke down on Tuesday, May 24. He was reportedly offered a "generous" salary to stay for another year, but decided to leave the show anyway.
Creator and producer Dick Wolf has reportedly begun courting a big name to star opposite female lead Mariska Hargitay. The Detective Olivia Benson depicter has previously signed a new deal to stay with the show.
While Hargitay's existing deal will not be affected by Meloni's departure, there have been talks that Jennifer Love Hewitt might join the series midway through the coming season to replace Hargitay. "Jennifer Love is somebody we've been circling," NBC boss Robert Greenblatt once told TVLine, before adding "but I don't know that that is going to happen at all."
In the meantime, another show "Dexter" has just added an actor to its cast line-up. Former "Battlestar Galactica" star Edward James Olmos has been tapped to appear in season 6 of the Showtime drama thriller series to play a "brilliant, charismatic professor of religious studies."
Previously, Colin Hanks and Mos (previously known as Mos Def) have been announced to guest star in the new season. The production will start on May 25 while the sixth season will premiere this fall.
More Law & Order: Special Victims Unit News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media