Oprah Winfrey Set to Star in HBO Films' 'Ruined'
Oprah Winfrey has been the executive producer of Oscar winner "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", the voice in "The Princess and the Frog" and the guest star on "30 Rock". She is now to take a more prominent role in front of the camera in "Ruined", her first oncreen starring role since 1998 "Beloved".
The TV movie is adapted from Lynn Nottage's Pulitzer Prize-winning play which has won several awards including Drama Desk Awards during its 2009 off-Broadway run. The play involves the plight of women in the civil war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.
Madam Mama Nadi struggles to keep herself and the women working for her brothel from getting caught between the government and rebel armies. Nottage herself would write the movie's script.
The project is being developed for HBO Films. Deadline says it has been one of Harpo's top priorities since Winfrey and Kate Forte, who will team up as executive producers, moved the company from ABC to HBO. The other project is a 7-hour miniseries adaptation of "America: In the King Years".
- Calvin Harris Strips Down to His Undies in New Instagram Photo
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues
- First Look at Miley Cyrus as Hippie in Woody Allen's 'Crisis in Six Scenes'
- Drake and Rihanna Kiss on Instagram, Enjoy Date Night After VMAs