Oprah Winfrey Set to Star in HBO Films' 'Ruined'
Oprah Winfrey has been the executive producer of Oscar winner "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", the voice in "The Princess and the Frog" and the guest star on "30 Rock". She is now to take a more prominent role in front of the camera in "Ruined", her first oncreen starring role since 1998 "Beloved".
The TV movie is adapted from Lynn Nottage's Pulitzer Prize-winning play which has won several awards including Drama Desk Awards during its 2009 off-Broadway run. The play involves the plight of women in the civil war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.
Madam Mama Nadi struggles to keep herself and the women working for her brothel from getting caught between the government and rebel armies. Nottage herself would write the movie's script.
The project is being developed for HBO Films. Deadline says it has been one of Harpo's top priorities since Winfrey and Kate Forte, who will team up as executive producers, moved the company from ABC to HBO. The other project is a 7-hour miniseries adaptation of "America: In the King Years".
- Find Out Why Psy Chose Apink's Na Eun for His 'New Face' MV
- Jo Kwon Wants a 2AM Reunion
- Tyga Spotted Wearing Matching Sneakers With Mystery Brunette
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom