Oprah Winfrey Set to Star in HBO Films' 'Ruined'
Oprah Winfrey has been the executive producer of Oscar winner "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", the voice in "The Princess and the Frog" and the guest star on "30 Rock". She is now to take a more prominent role in front of the camera in "Ruined", her first oncreen starring role since 1998 "Beloved".
The TV movie is adapted from Lynn Nottage's Pulitzer Prize-winning play which has won several awards including Drama Desk Awards during its 2009 off-Broadway run. The play involves the plight of women in the civil war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.
Madam Mama Nadi struggles to keep herself and the women working for her brothel from getting caught between the government and rebel armies. Nottage herself would write the movie's script.
The project is being developed for HBO Films. Deadline says it has been one of Harpo's top priorities since Winfrey and Kate Forte, who will team up as executive producers, moved the company from ABC to HBO. The other project is a 7-hour miniseries adaptation of "America: In the King Years".
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'
- Did Geoff Johns Just Confirm That Armie Hammer Would Play Green Lantern in DC Movies?
- Inside Kanye West's Music Comeback Plans Following Hospitalization
- Kendall Jenner Isn't Happy About That Rolls-Royce for Her Birthday? Here's Why
- Mariah Carey Can't Wear Her Shoes Alone in New Promo for 'Mariah's World'