Alyssa Milano Raises Awareness on Neglected Tropical Diseases
Alyssa Milano turns tropical. The "Charmed" actress has been named the new lead ambassador for the Global Network for Neglected Tropical Disease Control, the Sabin Vaccine Institute, a leader in the fight against "diseases of poverty," announced Thursday June 28th.
The neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are 13 chronic and disabling bacterial and parasitic infections called "diseases of poverty." They afflict the "poorest of the poor" - one billion people living on less than $2 per day in the most impoverished areas of the developing world.
Concerning her tapping, Milano will be responsible to raise the profile of NTDs by educating the media and general public of the plight faced by the one billion people afflicted by them and the importance in controlling and preventing this global health crisis.
To mark her new role as the network ambassador, Milano donated $250,000 (GBP125,000) to the Global Network Drug Fund, about which the beauty commented, "Words cannot fully express the devastation and horror caused by NTDs (neglected tropical diseases). Until now, these diseases have been hidden in the shadows, but working with the Global Network, I am focused on bringing this tragedy to the public eye."
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7: Major Spoiler About Daenerys Leaked