Alyssa Milano Raises Awareness on Neglected Tropical Diseases
Alyssa Milano turns tropical. The "Charmed" actress has been named the new lead ambassador for the Global Network for Neglected Tropical Disease Control, the Sabin Vaccine Institute, a leader in the fight against "diseases of poverty," announced Thursday June 28th.
The neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are 13 chronic and disabling bacterial and parasitic infections called "diseases of poverty." They afflict the "poorest of the poor" - one billion people living on less than $2 per day in the most impoverished areas of the developing world.
Concerning her tapping, Milano will be responsible to raise the profile of NTDs by educating the media and general public of the plight faced by the one billion people afflicted by them and the importance in controlling and preventing this global health crisis.
To mark her new role as the network ambassador, Milano donated $250,000 (GBP125,000) to the Global Network Drug Fund, about which the beauty commented, "Words cannot fully express the devastation and horror caused by NTDs (neglected tropical diseases). Until now, these diseases have been hidden in the shadows, but working with the Global Network, I am focused on bringing this tragedy to the public eye."
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics