Alyssa Milano Raises Awareness on Neglected Tropical Diseases
Alyssa Milano turns tropical. The "Charmed" actress has been named the new lead ambassador for the Global Network for Neglected Tropical Disease Control, the Sabin Vaccine Institute, a leader in the fight against "diseases of poverty," announced Thursday June 28th.
The neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are 13 chronic and disabling bacterial and parasitic infections called "diseases of poverty." They afflict the "poorest of the poor" - one billion people living on less than $2 per day in the most impoverished areas of the developing world.
Concerning her tapping, Milano will be responsible to raise the profile of NTDs by educating the media and general public of the plight faced by the one billion people afflicted by them and the importance in controlling and preventing this global health crisis.
To mark her new role as the network ambassador, Milano donated $250,000 (GBP125,000) to the Global Network Drug Fund, about which the beauty commented, "Words cannot fully express the devastation and horror caused by NTDs (neglected tropical diseases). Until now, these diseases have been hidden in the shadows, but working with the Global Network, I am focused on bringing this tragedy to the public eye."
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip