Alyssa Milano Raises Awareness on Neglected Tropical Diseases
Alyssa Milano turns tropical. The "Charmed" actress has been named the new lead ambassador for the Global Network for Neglected Tropical Disease Control, the Sabin Vaccine Institute, a leader in the fight against "diseases of poverty," announced Thursday June 28th.
The neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are 13 chronic and disabling bacterial and parasitic infections called "diseases of poverty." They afflict the "poorest of the poor" - one billion people living on less than $2 per day in the most impoverished areas of the developing world.
Concerning her tapping, Milano will be responsible to raise the profile of NTDs by educating the media and general public of the plight faced by the one billion people afflicted by them and the importance in controlling and preventing this global health crisis.
To mark her new role as the network ambassador, Milano donated $250,000 (GBP125,000) to the Global Network Drug Fund, about which the beauty commented, "Words cannot fully express the devastation and horror caused by NTDs (neglected tropical diseases). Until now, these diseases have been hidden in the shadows, but working with the Global Network, I am focused on bringing this tragedy to the public eye."
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt 'Never Wanted Sex' Prior to Their Split
- Kim Kardashian's Paris Robbery Crime Scene Photos Emerge
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Were Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle