AceShowbiz - Remember when Logan Paul made headlines after purchasing a box of first-edition Pokemon Card booster packs for $3,500,000? The controversial YouTube star has now reacted to speculations that it might be fake, confirming in a new video that it is indeed fake.
The video, which was uploaded on Thursday, January 13, was titled "I Lost $3,500,000 On Fake Pokemon Cards". It saw Logan going to Chicago and sitting down with Baseball Card Exchange (BBCE) to verify the validity of the box after people started to speculate that the cards might be fake. With the help of some experts, he opened the box to see if it's real.
Inside the box were several Pokemon card boxes, though some of them could already tell that they were fake. One of them also noted that nowhere in the boxes stated that it's the first edition. The moment of truth came when Bolillo Lajan San, a known card collector who sold the box to Logan, opened of the boxes only to find out that they were filled with G.I. Joe cards.
"Oh my God, bro," Logan is heard yelling about the unboxing, adding, "G.I. JOE?? G.I. JOE?!?! It could have been anything else." One person said, "We all got duped," while one other called it "the biggest fraud in the entire history of Pokemon."
Logan went on to say, "I'm a super positive person, bro - and I'll always be the one to look on the bright side and I'm trying but this is very hard." He continued, "It's just so sad for all parties involved, it's sad for the Pokémon community - like how many fraudulent things are out there? I'm grateful for the things that I have that are real now, I'm picturing my Charizard in my head...something real, something worth a lot of money that is real. Damn bro, I just went from eleven first edition boxes to five. We got f**ked, end of story."
After the video was uploaded, Bolillo, who bought the box from someone at $2,700,000, told TMZ that he had "reimbursed Logan his 3.5." He continued, "However, we will see how quickly I am made whole from the sellers who brought it to me already authenticated in the coming days, or if it turns into a drawn out scenario."
As for BBCE, it released a statement on its Twitter account. "In March 2021, we were asked to provide our good-faith opinion and verify that the Pokemon case had not been previously opened or tampered with. We evaluated it and, in our opinion, the case was in its original state. This past Saturday, we opened that case to verify our opinion and were extremely disappointed to learn it was inauthentic," it wrote.
"We have authenticated tens of thousands of sealed card products for nearly 20 years and have meticulously developed a structure and framework to provide our expert opinion. We are re-evaluating our approach to all sealed cases going forward." it added. "We have also decided to halt the review of Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh! cases or boxes until we assess and revise our processes to avoid this happening in the future."