Jimmy Hayes' Cause of Death Ruled as Acute Intoxication of Fentanyl and Cocaine
Instagram
Celebrity

According to his widow Kristen and father Kevin Sr., the former NHL player, who was found dead in his Milton home on August 23, died with drugs in his system.

AceShowbiz - The cause of the death of Jimmy Hayes has finally been revealed. Nearly two months after he passed away at the age of 31, the former NHL player was unveiled to have died with fentanyl and cocaine in his system.

Revealing his cause of death was his widow Kristen and his father Kevin Sr. The medical examiner also confirmed that the late hockey player died from acute intoxication due to the combined effects of fentanyl and cocaine.

Speaking to The Boston Globe on Sunday, October 17, Kristen admitted to feeling "completely shocked" after getting the toxicology report from the Massachusetts state medical examiner on October 15. That same day, Jimmy's death certificate was issued to the town hall in Milton, Massachusetts and the Norfolk County District Attorney's office confirmed that no foul play was involved in the former Bruins winger's death.

"I was so certain that it had nothing to do with drugs. I really thought it was a heart attack or anything that wasn't that [drugs]," Kristen explained. She went on saying that the toxicology report "didn't make any sense" and she found it "hard" to believe it.

Kristen told the publication that she "was hoping to get a different phone call when they called." She added, "I was hoping to get some clarity and I was shocked to hear that it was that," before noting that Jimmy "never showed any signs of a struggle at home.''

"I know he would give anything to still be here with us today," Kristen continued. "I am heartbroken and devastated, but I will choose to remember my husband and the boys' dad by all the joy and love he brought us, and I hope everyone else does, too.''

His father, Kevin, told the outlet, "I'm an addict myself. I'm sober a long, long time, but I know how powerful this stuff is." He confessed, "I was in shock when it happened, but then I started putting stuff together in my head," adding that his son "made a terrible mistake and it cost him his life."

"About maybe 16 or 17 months ago, I saw a little change in Jimmy's behavior and I went to him and I said, 'I think there might be a problem here with pills.' He had had an injury for a while and I think he started taking the painkillers and they get you," Kevin shared. He then shared that Jimmy once told him, "Dad, I'm hooked on these pills. I got injured and I started taking them and I never got off."

Jimmy was found dead at his Milton, Massachusetts home on Monday morning, August 23. The evening prior to his death, Jimmy and his wife of three years celebrated their son Beau's 2nd birthday with their son Mac, who was born on May 5.

Jimmy's autopsy was completed on August 25. At the time, however, the medical examiner's office said in a statement that the "cause and manner of death remain pending and an update is not expected for several weeks when toxicology testing comes back."

You can share this post!

Related Posts