The guitarist and singer launched legal action against his former bandmates Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie and John McVie last week (ends October 14), for firing him. He also alleges he is owed money from what he was due to earn on their tour, which began on October 3.
The group has now responded via their spokesperson Kristen Foster, who told the Press Association in a statement, "Fleetwood Mac looks forward to their day in court."
In the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ.com, Buckingham claimed that he and his bandmates signed a deal with Live Nation for a 60-show tour over two years, revealing each member was set to make $14 million (£11 million). He believes he is owed his share of the tour income because he still wants and is able to perform.
Buckingham, who is suing for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, told TMZ.com, "Over the last eight months, our many efforts to come to an agreement have unfortunately proved elusive. I'm looking forward to closure, and will always remain proud of all that we created, and what that legacy represents."
It was announced in April that Buckingham, 69, had been fired from the band. He has since been replaced by Mike Campbell and Neil Finn.
He filed the lawsuit just a day after the publication of his Rolling Stone interview, in which he blamed his former lover Nicks on his exit. He said that he learned he'd been voted out of the group in a phone call with band manager Irving Azoff, who told him Nicks would never join him onstage again after he "smirked" while she was making an acceptance speech at the MusiCares Person of the Year gala two days before he was fired.