Julia Roberts Becomes Global Ambassador for Cookstove Campaign
The Hollywood actress Julia Roberts first learned about the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves organization earlier this year when she sat down to interview U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for her TV special "Extraordinary Moms". The politician helped to launch the Alliance last year.
Roberts, a mother of three, has now joined forces with Clinton to bring attention to the need for modern, clean and safe stoves in the developing world, where many families rely on kitchen appliances or open fires fueled by wood, coal, charcoal or animal waste to cook, which can cause potentially fatal health affects.
She says, "Nearly two million people around the world - mostly women and children - die each year from an activity that many of us take for granted: cooking for our families."
"I am proud to stand with Secretary Clinton to work to reduce the senseless and preventable deaths from unsafe cooking conditions in developing countries and I look forward to contributing to the important work of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves."
"Extraordinary Moms" will air in the U.S. on the Oprah Winfrey Network on Saturday, May 7, on the eve of America's Mothers Day.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation