Katie Holmes Receives Magazine Apology Over Drug Allegations
A photo of Tom Cruise's wife Katie Holmes was printed on the cover of the magazine in late February under the headline, 'Addiction nightmare - Katie drug shocker! - The real reason she can't leave Tom'.
The story did not actually allege any drug use by the "Batman Begins" star, but she took issue over the suggestive article and launched legal action, with her representative blasting the publication for making "malicious claims"; that are "untrue, unethical and unlawful".
But the two sides have now reached a settlement. In the latest issue of Star, released on Wednesday, bosses have publicly apologised to Holmes, revealing they are making a big donation to a charity of the actress' choice.
In the statement, editors write, "In a recent issue of Star, we published headlines about Katie Holmes that could be read to suggest that she was addicted to drugs."
"Star did not intend to suggest that Ms. Holmes was a drug addict or was undergoing treatment for drug addiction. Star apologises to Ms. Holmes for any misperception and will be making a substantial donation to charity on Ms. Holmes' behalf for any harm that we may have caused."
And Holmes is happy to put the tabloid mess to rest. She says, "I'm pleased that this lawsuit could be resolved amicably and accept American Media's apology."
More Katie Holmes News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie