Nicki Minaj Surprises Fans at Auction Event
Rapper Nicki Minaj stunned guests at an environmental charity function at Christie's Auction House in New York on Tuesday, March 29, when she performed a surprise set at the unlikely venue. The "Check It Out" hitmaker played a secret gig at the Bid To Save the Earth event and reveals she jumped at the opportunity to highlight the cause and encourage her fans to be more aware of green issues.
"I know that a lot of my fans are young and I know I have the power to influence and inspire them by my own actions," Minaj tells Vogue. "I thought that if I got involved in a cause that I felt was important, then maybe they would take the time to research it and find ways they could get involved and make a difference. It's good to shine a positive light."
The hip-hop sensation is eager to do her bit to become more environmentally-friendly by shunning big, heavy vehicles for more fuel-efficient travel options, and she insists gas guzzlers would be banned if she had her way. She says, "I think there are a lot of things we could be doing better."
"I know when I see one of those big, gas-guzzling cars on the road, I cringe because I can't help but think of all the more efficient alternatives. You don't need that kind of car. So maybe that would be my rule, that people have to drive cars that are more environmentally responsible."
More Nicki Minaj News
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her