I Deserved to Be in Jail, George Michael Confesses
Singer George Michael has opened up about his recent jail stint, insisting he deserved to go behind bars for his "shameful" acts. The former "Wham!" singer was jailed for eight weeks in September 2010 for possessing cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
Michael was previously banned from driving for two years following his 2007 conviction for driving while unfit and a year later he received an official police caution for possession of cannabis. And now he has spoken about his time in prison, admitting he believes it's karma for repeatedly landing in trouble.
He tells British radio host Chris Evans, "This was a hugely shameful thing to have done repeatedly. So karmically I felt like I had a bill to pay. I went to prison, I paid my bill. Remarkably enough, I know people must think it was a really horrific experience - it's so much easier to take any form of punishment if you believe you actually deserve it, and I did. It wasn't a weekend break, put it that way. I didn't feel sorry for myself. I thought, 'Oh my God, this place is absolutely filthy, because it was Pentonville'. I just thought, you get your head down."
And Michael saw his release from jail as a new start when he was asked to sign a guitar and write down the date: "The guy said it's the 10th of the 10th of the 10th. And I just thought 'that's so fitting'. It's like the clock rolling round to the end of something, tomorrow I start again."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!