I Deserved to Be in Jail, George Michael Confesses
Singer George Michael has opened up about his recent jail stint, insisting he deserved to go behind bars for his "shameful" acts. The former "Wham!" singer was jailed for eight weeks in September 2010 for possessing cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
Michael was previously banned from driving for two years following his 2007 conviction for driving while unfit and a year later he received an official police caution for possession of cannabis. And now he has spoken about his time in prison, admitting he believes it's karma for repeatedly landing in trouble.
He tells British radio host Chris Evans, "This was a hugely shameful thing to have done repeatedly. So karmically I felt like I had a bill to pay. I went to prison, I paid my bill. Remarkably enough, I know people must think it was a really horrific experience - it's so much easier to take any form of punishment if you believe you actually deserve it, and I did. It wasn't a weekend break, put it that way. I didn't feel sorry for myself. I thought, 'Oh my God, this place is absolutely filthy, because it was Pentonville'. I just thought, you get your head down."
And Michael saw his release from jail as a new start when he was asked to sign a guitar and write down the date: "The guy said it's the 10th of the 10th of the 10th. And I just thought 'that's so fitting'. It's like the clock rolling round to the end of something, tomorrow I start again."
More George Michael News
- Ex-Pussycat Doll Ashley Roberts 'Flirting' With Brooklyn Beckham at BRITs After-Party
- Scarlett Johansson to Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the Fifth Time
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Tropical Song 'Swalla' Ft. Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign
- Beyonce and Caitlyn Jenner React to Donald Trump's Anti-Transgender Policy
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Casts JD Pardo as Leading Man
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Casting Scoops: Simone Biles and Mr. T to Compete in Season 24
- Matt Reeves Is Officially Announced to Direct 'The Batman', Ben Affleck Reacts
- Robert De Niro Has a Blowout Fight With Wife Grace Hightower