Incarcerated Remy Ma's Latest Appeal Rejected
Rapper Remy Ma will have to serve out her prison sentence for her 2008 murder conviction after authorities at New York's highest court rejected her latest appeal on Thursday, February 24. The "Lean Back" star, real name Reminisce Smith, was jailed for eight years in May 2008 after she was found guilty of shooting Makeda Barnes-Joseph in the abdomen during an altercation in July 2007.
Remy Ma, who was charged with assault, weapons possession and attempted coercion, maintained her innocence throughout the trial and immediately appealed the conviction. Her first attempt fell through in 2009. She launched a second one last year. But the rapper's bid for freedom has been dealt a big blow - officials at the Court of Appeals threw out her claims that the presiding judge failed to properly inform jurors before they delivered a guilty verdict.
The ruling means Remy Ma will remain behind bars at New York's notorious Riker's Island prison, where fellow rapper Lil Wayne spent time last year.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival