Incarcerated Remy Ma's Latest Appeal Rejected
Rapper Remy Ma will have to serve out her prison sentence for her 2008 murder conviction after authorities at New York's highest court rejected her latest appeal on Thursday, February 24. The "Lean Back" star, real name Reminisce Smith, was jailed for eight years in May 2008 after she was found guilty of shooting Makeda Barnes-Joseph in the abdomen during an altercation in July 2007.
Remy Ma, who was charged with assault, weapons possession and attempted coercion, maintained her innocence throughout the trial and immediately appealed the conviction. Her first attempt fell through in 2009. She launched a second one last year. But the rapper's bid for freedom has been dealt a big blow - officials at the Court of Appeals threw out her claims that the presiding judge failed to properly inform jurors before they delivered a guilty verdict.
The ruling means Remy Ma will remain behind bars at New York's notorious Riker's Island prison, where fellow rapper Lil Wayne spent time last year.
More Remy Ma News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy