Incarcerated Remy Ma's Latest Appeal Rejected
Rapper Remy Ma will have to serve out her prison sentence for her 2008 murder conviction after authorities at New York's highest court rejected her latest appeal on Thursday, February 24. The "Lean Back" star, real name Reminisce Smith, was jailed for eight years in May 2008 after she was found guilty of shooting Makeda Barnes-Joseph in the abdomen during an altercation in July 2007.
Remy Ma, who was charged with assault, weapons possession and attempted coercion, maintained her innocence throughout the trial and immediately appealed the conviction. Her first attempt fell through in 2009. She launched a second one last year. But the rapper's bid for freedom has been dealt a big blow - officials at the Court of Appeals threw out her claims that the presiding judge failed to properly inform jurors before they delivered a guilty verdict.
The ruling means Remy Ma will remain behind bars at New York's notorious Riker's Island prison, where fellow rapper Lil Wayne spent time last year.
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'
- Prince's Paisley Park Home Will Be Open for Public in October
- Terminally Ill Fan Got Special Screening of 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Before Passing
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week