Incarcerated Remy Ma's Latest Appeal Rejected
Rapper Remy Ma will have to serve out her prison sentence for her 2008 murder conviction after authorities at New York's highest court rejected her latest appeal on Thursday, February 24. The "Lean Back" star, real name Reminisce Smith, was jailed for eight years in May 2008 after she was found guilty of shooting Makeda Barnes-Joseph in the abdomen during an altercation in July 2007.
Remy Ma, who was charged with assault, weapons possession and attempted coercion, maintained her innocence throughout the trial and immediately appealed the conviction. Her first attempt fell through in 2009. She launched a second one last year. But the rapper's bid for freedom has been dealt a big blow - officials at the Court of Appeals threw out her claims that the presiding judge failed to properly inform jurors before they delivered a guilty verdict.
The ruling means Remy Ma will remain behind bars at New York's notorious Riker's Island prison, where fellow rapper Lil Wayne spent time last year.
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'