Lady GaGa and Cast of 'Glee' Score Hot 100 Record
Lady GaGa has scored the 1,000th number one on America's Billboard Hot 100 chart after crashing in at the top with her new song "Born This Way". The track, which was released to much fanfare on Friday, February 11, has also entered high on the influential Radio Songs countdown, breaking Janet Jackson's 10-year-old record for the most-played debut.
Thrilled GaGa, who performed the song at the Grammy Awards on Sunday, February 13 tells Billboard.com, "It is a tremendous honor. To be the 1,000th number one on Billboard... I would be silly not to say this is the greatest honor of my career... I couldn't be more blessed to have the fans that I have."
The new tune also breaks Britney Spears' record as the highest debuting female artist - fans downloaded 448,000 copies of "Born This Way", which is now the third largest debut among all digital tracks behind Flo Rida's "Right Round" and the Black Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow". The song is the 19th title to debut at number one in the Hot 100's 52-year history.
Meanwhile, the new "Now That's What I Call Music 37" compilation debuts atop the newly-released Billboard 200 albums chart, scoring the first 100,000-plus sales week of 2011. British folk act Mumford & Sons' "Sigh No More" album jumps up nine spots to two following their performance at the Grammy Awards on Sunday, and Justin Bieber's "My World 2.0" shoots up 14 spots on the countdown to complete the new top three. Last week's number one album, Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday", drops to four.
Also withing Hot 100 radar, the cast of "Glee" is celebrating after becoming the U.S. pop chart's most successful act. The singers have passed Elvis Presley's 108 Billboard Hot 100 hits thanks to their latest batch of six new entries on the countdown, which will be officially released on Thursday. In just 18 months, they have scored 113 chart hits.
More Lady GaGa News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7