Lady GaGa and Cast of 'Glee' Score Hot 100 Record
Lady GaGa has scored the 1,000th number one on America's Billboard Hot 100 chart after crashing in at the top with her new song "Born This Way". The track, which was released to much fanfare on Friday, February 11, has also entered high on the influential Radio Songs countdown, breaking Janet Jackson's 10-year-old record for the most-played debut.
Thrilled GaGa, who performed the song at the Grammy Awards on Sunday, February 13 tells Billboard.com, "It is a tremendous honor. To be the 1,000th number one on Billboard... I would be silly not to say this is the greatest honor of my career... I couldn't be more blessed to have the fans that I have."
The new tune also breaks Britney Spears' record as the highest debuting female artist - fans downloaded 448,000 copies of "Born This Way", which is now the third largest debut among all digital tracks behind Flo Rida's "Right Round" and the Black Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow". The song is the 19th title to debut at number one in the Hot 100's 52-year history.
Meanwhile, the new "Now That's What I Call Music 37" compilation debuts atop the newly-released Billboard 200 albums chart, scoring the first 100,000-plus sales week of 2011. British folk act Mumford & Sons' "Sigh No More" album jumps up nine spots to two following their performance at the Grammy Awards on Sunday, and Justin Bieber's "My World 2.0" shoots up 14 spots on the countdown to complete the new top three. Last week's number one album, Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday", drops to four.
Also withing Hot 100 radar, the cast of "Glee" is celebrating after becoming the U.S. pop chart's most successful act. The singers have passed Elvis Presley's 108 Billboard Hot 100 hits thanks to their latest batch of six new entries on the countdown, which will be officially released on Thursday. In just 18 months, they have scored 113 chart hits.
More Lady GaGa News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group