Ricky Gervais Asked to Host 2012 Golden Globes Despite Critics
British funnyman Ricky Gervais has been asked to return as host of the Golden Globes next year, despite the furore surrounding his acerbic style at the January prizegiving. The comedic actor sparked outrage during his hosting duties at the glitzy awards show after aiming a number of barbed jibes at the star-studded audience.
His performance was met with disapproval from several celebrities, as well as event organizers, who labeled the jokes "totally unacceptable". Gervais refused to apologize for his words - and now the star has revealed chiefs have already asked him to front the ceremony for a third time in 2012.
But Gervais is considering snubbing the invite - because he doesn't think he can top his recent appearance. In Britain's Heat magazine, Gervais writes, "I did exactly what I went to do: improve on last year's and have a laugh. The response was staggering. It was discussed on every news channel and chat show for weeks."
"The weird thing is, the question is always, 'Did Ricky go too far?' And the answer is always, 'No.' I have yet to find anyone who was actually offended by it. The ratings went up again, and the organizers asked me to consider a third year. (But) I don't think I should. I don't know what I could do better. I certainly couldn't get more press for them, that's for sure. You know me. Two seasons is enough."
- Possible First Look at Superman's Black Suit in 'Justice League' Unveiled
- Keke Palmer Accuses Trey Songz of 'Sexual Intimidation' for Including Her in His Video
- Jennifer Garner Reportedly 'Suspicious' of Ben Affleck's Relationship With His Detox Nurse
- 'Saturday Night Live' Mocks Trump's Inauguration With Shirtless Putin
- Brad Pitt Is Living a Healthy New Life Following Angelina Jolie Split
- New Couple Alert? Iggy Azalea Spotted Making Out With Music Producer LJay Currie in Mexico
- Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Madonna Perform at Women's March on Washington
- Is Ellen DeGeneres' Marriage to Portia de Rossi in Trouble?