Ricky Gervais Asked to Host 2012 Golden Globes Despite Critics
British funnyman Ricky Gervais has been asked to return as host of the Golden Globes next year, despite the furore surrounding his acerbic style at the January prizegiving. The comedic actor sparked outrage during his hosting duties at the glitzy awards show after aiming a number of barbed jibes at the star-studded audience.
His performance was met with disapproval from several celebrities, as well as event organizers, who labeled the jokes "totally unacceptable". Gervais refused to apologize for his words - and now the star has revealed chiefs have already asked him to front the ceremony for a third time in 2012.
But Gervais is considering snubbing the invite - because he doesn't think he can top his recent appearance. In Britain's Heat magazine, Gervais writes, "I did exactly what I went to do: improve on last year's and have a laugh. The response was staggering. It was discussed on every news channel and chat show for weeks."
"The weird thing is, the question is always, 'Did Ricky go too far?' And the answer is always, 'No.' I have yet to find anyone who was actually offended by it. The ratings went up again, and the organizers asked me to consider a third year. (But) I don't think I should. I don't know what I could do better. I certainly couldn't get more press for them, that's for sure. You know me. Two seasons is enough."
More Ricky Gervais News
- Diplo Reuniting With Justin Bieber and MO for Major Lazer's New Song
- Charlize Theron Hosts Baby Shower for Pal Emily Blunt
- Johnny Depp's Hollywood Vampires Concert Went Ahead Despite Boycott Threat
- Selena Gomez Calls Paul Rudd a 'Pervert' in 'Fundamentals of Caring' First Trailer
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Remake Series, Tells Fans to Boycott the Show
- Is Justin Bieber Ready to Settle Down With Nicola Peltz?
- Kylie, Kendall Jenner and Gal Pals Strip Down to Sexy Bikinis as They Kick Off Summer
- The Rock Confirms Starring Role in Shane Black's 'Doc Savage'