DMX Gets One Year in Prison for Substance Abuse
Embattled rapper DMX is heading back to prison for one year after pleading guilty to violating the terms of his probation following his arrest in November. The star, real name Earl Simmons, was busted by police in Phoenix after slipping up in his sobriety battle by using cocaine and consuming alcohol during a performance in an Arizona club. He was also accused of driving on a suspended license and failing to check in with his probation officer.
DMX initially denied the allegations, but returned to Maricopa County Superior Court on Thursday, December 16 and entered a guilty plea to one charge of felony probation violation. Judge Christine Mulleneaux, who had previously rejected two requests by the rapper's lawyer to release him on bail prior to sentencing, ordered DMX to serve a year behind bars, telling him "Substance abuse issues are at the root of this problem."
She also expressed concern he suffered from an undiagnosed mental condition, which she's convinced has led him to self-medicate with illegal substances, reports the Phoenix New Times. She said, "Your criminal history goes back to 1988. It's going to continue if you don't take care of your mental health." DMX has been in and out of jail this year and completed his most recent prison stint in August after serving 18 days of a 90-day sentence in connection with a reckless driving conviction from 2002.
- Future and Chris Brown Are Total Womanizers in Sexy 'Pie' Video
- Ryan Murphy Shares New 'American Horror Story' Season 7 Clue
- Topless Kylie Jenner Smokes Cigarette in Throwback Photo
- 'Preacher' 2.02 Sneak Peeks: Jesse Confronts the Saint of Killers
- Artist of the Week: Selena Gomez
- Fighting Over Karrueche? Chris Brown's Crew Allegedly Confronts Migos at BET Awards After-Party
- 'Toy Story': Sad Backstory of Andy's Father Debunked by Writer
- BET Awards 2017: Beyonce Dominates Full Winner List