DMX Gets One Year in Prison for Substance Abuse
Embattled rapper DMX is heading back to prison for one year after pleading guilty to violating the terms of his probation following his arrest in November. The star, real name Earl Simmons, was busted by police in Phoenix after slipping up in his sobriety battle by using cocaine and consuming alcohol during a performance in an Arizona club. He was also accused of driving on a suspended license and failing to check in with his probation officer.
DMX initially denied the allegations, but returned to Maricopa County Superior Court on Thursday, December 16 and entered a guilty plea to one charge of felony probation violation. Judge Christine Mulleneaux, who had previously rejected two requests by the rapper's lawyer to release him on bail prior to sentencing, ordered DMX to serve a year behind bars, telling him "Substance abuse issues are at the root of this problem."
She also expressed concern he suffered from an undiagnosed mental condition, which she's convinced has led him to self-medicate with illegal substances, reports the Phoenix New Times. She said, "Your criminal history goes back to 1988. It's going to continue if you don't take care of your mental health." DMX has been in and out of jail this year and completed his most recent prison stint in August after serving 18 days of a 90-day sentence in connection with a reckless driving conviction from 2002.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked