DMX Gets One Year in Prison for Substance Abuse
Embattled rapper DMX is heading back to prison for one year after pleading guilty to violating the terms of his probation following his arrest in November. The star, real name Earl Simmons, was busted by police in Phoenix after slipping up in his sobriety battle by using cocaine and consuming alcohol during a performance in an Arizona club. He was also accused of driving on a suspended license and failing to check in with his probation officer.
DMX initially denied the allegations, but returned to Maricopa County Superior Court on Thursday, December 16 and entered a guilty plea to one charge of felony probation violation. Judge Christine Mulleneaux, who had previously rejected two requests by the rapper's lawyer to release him on bail prior to sentencing, ordered DMX to serve a year behind bars, telling him "Substance abuse issues are at the root of this problem."
She also expressed concern he suffered from an undiagnosed mental condition, which she's convinced has led him to self-medicate with illegal substances, reports the Phoenix New Times. She said, "Your criminal history goes back to 1988. It's going to continue if you don't take care of your mental health." DMX has been in and out of jail this year and completed his most recent prison stint in August after serving 18 days of a 90-day sentence in connection with a reckless driving conviction from 2002.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie