Rip Torn Escapes Jail in Bank Break-In Case
Actor Rip Torn has escaped jail for his drunken bank break-in in January this year after pleading guilty to a list of charges. The "Men in Black" star, 79, was found sprawled on the floor of the Litchfield Bancorp building in his hometown of Salisbury, Connecticut clutching a revolver. The actor was reportedly intoxicated and told cops he thought the building was his home.
He subsequently pleaded not guilty to a number of offenses and checked into a treatment facility in New York to face his personal problems. However, a judge decided Torn's prior alcohol issues disqualified him from registering for the probation program and set a trial date.
And on Tuesday, December 14 he pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment, criminal trespass, criminal mischief and the illegal carrying of a firearm. Torn was handed a two-and-a-half year suspended sentence and three years of probation. He is banned from owning a firearm and must surrender to officials for random drug and alcohol tests.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'