Paul McCartney Grateful for Patching Things Up Before John Lennon Died
Sir Paul McCartney will forever be grateful he had the chance to patch up his differences with John Lennon before his pal's untimely death, because he wouldn't have been able to live with the guilt of a broken friendship. The "Imagine" legend was shot dead by crazed fan Mark Chapman outside his New York home on December 8, 1980.
McCartney was in New York on Wednesday, December 8 to mark the 30th anniversary of his Beatles bandmate's death in his own personal way, and he insists he is still baffled by the tragedy. He tells U.S. talk show host Jimmy Fallon, "What can you say, you know, it's just so senseless. A phrase kept going in my head about the guy who killed him, Jerk of all jerks. Because you know, it's just like... I think I was deranged. It was just so, so sad because we thought John would be around forever, we'd hang."
But McCartney is thankful for one thing - making the effort to rebuild the close friendship they had shared during their youth in the months before Lennon's passing. The pair was estranged for years following the bitter break-up of The Beatles in 1970, and McCartney admits they bonded again over their love for their kids - and bread.
He says, "I think the nice thing about it though, was that we got our friendship back together. I think it'd have been really difficult because you know, we'd fought, we'd broke up, we had a lot of business problems, but since then, that point we'd started to chat on the phone."
"We'd chat about how to make bread! Just ordinary stuff, you know. He'd had a baby by then, he'd had Sean, so we could talk babies and family and bread and stuff. So that made it a little bit easier, the fact that we were buddies (when he died)."
- Box Office: 'Dunkirk' and 'Girls Trip' Exceed Expectations, 'Valerian' Bombs
- Kylie Jenner's Snapchat Is Hacked, Culprit Threatens to Expose Nude Photos of 'KUWTK' Star
- Frank Ocean Brings Out Brad Pitt During Captivating Performance at FYF Festival
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72